This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Today's Quiz Question.

a, How old am I? 100 Amp M.E.M. porcelain B.S.3036 fuse carrier.

b, When was it first used?

c, When was it last used, superseded by H.R.C. cartridge fuses. ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEM-KANTARK-100-AMP-415V-PORCELAIN-FUSE-CARRIER/323972442005?hash=item4b6e432795:g:tJwAAOSwqbZdPs8K

Z.
  • Here are my guesses

a. 65 years

b. 1945

c. 1972
  • Zoom, I have missed your quizzes. I hope that you have not been inside! ?
  • Chris Pearson:

Zoom, I have missed your quizzes. I hope that you have not been inside! ?

Hello Chris, thanks. No, I have not been inside. I have just been surviving between jobs.

A little diversion for you. Of interest to aviators and radio folk.

What was this place famous for? No clues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96AWRO9x5k4

Z.

• It was the place that invented the "Irish Screwdriver" a.k.a the Lump Hammer ?
  • Alcock & Brown flying from Newfoundland to Dublin 1919 for the first Transatlantic non-stop flight, did not make it to their destination but crash landed their Vickers Vimy into Derrygimlagh Bog near Clifden.

Marconi had a radio station there from 1907 until wrecked by Irish Irregulars in 1922 and as a result the radio traffic was sent via  Caerrnarvon (Wales). 

Clive

• AncientMariner:

Alcock & Brown flying from Newfoundland to Dublin 1919 for the first Transatlantic non-stop flight, did not make it to their destination but crash landed their Vickers Vimy into Derrygimlagh Bog near Clifden.

Marconi had a radio station there from 1907 until wrecked by Irish Irregulars in 1922 and as a result the radio traffic was sent via  Caerrnarvon (Wales). 

Clive

Well done all knowing Clive. You know far more than I do.

Z.

• I have perhaps an unusual background which includes Military Avionics, Maritime Communications & Radar together with a Private Pilots Licence. In fact I am one of the very few PPL holders to have a CAA Flight Radio-Telephony Operator's Licence which is also valid for HF radio communication. Most PPL holders have a R?T Licence restricted to VHF only, which will get you as far as Singapore apparently. (If not further) Having held a Maritime Radiocommunication General Certificate since 1975, which enabled me to use any mode of communication on HF at sea, I was pig headed enough to find a CAA exam centre where I could take the aviation HF equivalent. I never used it, mainly because I didn't want to emulate Alcock & Brown's transatlantic flight  with one engine less! They at least had two. 

But Google and Wikipedia gave me the exact answers.

Clive
  • Also if you watch to the end of the YouTube clip they talk about Alcock and Brown landing there - but considering how long the clip is, Google is much quicker
  • AncientMariner:

I have perhaps an unusual background which includes Military Avionics, Maritime Communications & Radar together with a Private Pilots Licence. In fact I am one of the very few PPL holders to have a CAA Flight Radio-Telephony Operator's Licence which is also valid for HF radio communication. Most PPL holders have a R?T Licence restricted to VHF only, which will get you as far as Singapore apparently. (If not further) Having held a Maritime Radiocommunication General Certificate since 1975, which enabled me to use any mode of communication on HF at sea, I was pig headed enough to find a CAA exam centre where I could take the aviation HF equivalent. I never used it, mainly because I didn't want to emulate Alcock & Brown's transatlantic flight  with one engine less! They at least had two. 

But Google and Wikipedia gave me the exact answers.

Clive

I live quite close to the  Trimingham WW2 R.A.F. radar station in Norfolk, which is still operational. At that location there is a large white ball on the cliff top. It resembles the white balloon out of The Prisoner from television. During WW2 female motor bike dispatch riders would collect info. from similar stations and return it to Bletchley Park for de-cyphering. They were armed and very young women. They had to use the back entrance to Bletchley Park as the motor bike engine noise would distract the code breakers from their work in their huts. The women went out at all times in rain and snow, heat and  cold, day and night. The motor bikes were heavy and had a poor turning circle.

Dispatch rider's motorbike. Bletchley Park code breaking m… | Flickr

Z.