This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Personal Data Breach on UTR Tennis

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I was surprised when after signing up for a new Tennis Tournament called 'UTR Tennis', I firstly started receiving spam emails about Tennis matches etc. However, further I received an automatic update of the matches that I played on the website, without my prior consent or approval. 

It seems that UTR Tennis is getting people to sign up in the name of playing a few matches - but thereafter actually follows the person around and collects information on who, where and how the person had been performing. This is clearly a breach of Personal Data Collection.

I have thereafter requested that my account be removed from UTR Tennis - that I only signed up in the show of playing a match or two!

5dab7423e7d277f5c63db2807f291790-original-screenshot-from-2021-01-13-10-37-08.png
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    This is an excellent example of 'Data Scrapping' Cybercrime, where an individual's personal data or proprietary data of an organization, is collected using Artificial Intelligence computer programs to then feed into their own website. 

Whilst most persons would think that there is some kind of 'arrangement' between Tennis Australia and UTR Tennis, but that it is actually a product of Data Scrapping, would largely be unthought about. 

In Australia, laws are available and should be applied as per Privacy Act 1988:
    https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2014C00076

Where, with and whom an Australian Tennis Player plays tournaments and matches would clearly qualify as the individual's personal data.
  • It sounds like they are doing what they said they would do under their Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.