Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Landlord's Tax
Can any Landlords here recommend a good guidance book for explaining Landlords allowable expenses for 2019/2020?
Many thanks.
Clive

5 Replies
ebee
828 Posts
AncientMariner:
Can any Landlords here recommend a good guidance book for explaining Landlords allowable expenses for 2019/2020?
Many thanks.
Clive

There are, I think, a couple of  National Landlords Associations Clive, I imagine they might have such info and possibly they might offer such to non-members, worth a try.

This bloke I know personaly is a good egg and I`ve looked after the electrics on a couple of his properties local to me (not all landlords are bad! in much the same way as not all tradesmen are builders from hell and all victims are not their customers ) it might be worth giving him a try richard.price@landlords.org.uk

Thanks ebee
Looking at Landlords.org.uk they had some downloadable information sheets for Tax and these confirmed some grey areas.  Their £75 p.a. membership seems to be good value considering that it includes a telephone advice line.
Thanks again
Clive
AJJewsbury
1849 Posts
Strange as it might sound, have you tried HMRC?  I have found that they can be quite helpful at times. E.g. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/help-and-support-for-landlords
  - Andy.
Andy Millar
1799 Posts
I absolutely second Andy's post! My wife and I gave up with accountants 20 years ago (as far as tax was concerned) when we found that HMRC gave better advice for my wife's small business and a few oddities of mine, and of course it's free. (My favourite one was "remember that if you're out shopping, and you post a business letter, that that's a tax deductible trip".)
I would also suggest HMRC. They also have good guidebooks (online) plus they also run courses for landlords with Q&A. I was at first sceptical but they have saved me more than an accountant firm! I also tend to do online Self Assessment filing around end of May when it is slow period for HMRC and they have better availability.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in