This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Queen of the Skies

It was sad to see the announcement over the weekend that British Airways are disbanding their fleet of Boeing 747s.  Although I've flown fairly frequently, I never managed flight in a 747. 

Are there any other airlines out there that are still flying these aircraft? 

Otherwise this will be one to add to my list of aircraft I wanted to fly on that I never achieved, along with the Sunderland Flying Boat and Concorde.

Does anyone else have a list of aircraft now defunct that they always wanted to fly on?
  • I once turned down the offer of a free flight on Concorde!!!! A rather well known and well connected record producer had stormed out of a recording session in a New York studio claiming he couldn't work with our mixing desk because we'd changed one of the components (the voltage controlled amplifier - VCA - used on the main channel level controls). I came in to work early that morning, expecting to drive to Southampton to sort out a TV studio, and instead got a message to say that as soon as stores had found enough of the old style VCAs I was to take them to Heathrow, hop onto Concorde, fit them to the mixing desk, get a couple of hours sleep, and come back. I suggested that since we had a New York service department, who were undoubtedly much better at desoldering and soldering than I was, we just send the VCAs on Concorde and they could fit them...which would give the client a better service and stop me being absolutely shattered. After a brief argument (the company wanted to be seen to be sending someone!) it was agreed that made sense...but now of course looking back I realise that was the one and only chance of a Concorde flight.

Ah well. I did regularly get flown around Europe in the company six seater jet, which was probably actually more fun! 

Totally agree about the Sunderland - I've always wanted (since my Airfix days) to see one taking off and landing. 

Cheers,

Andy
  • Missed out flying on the Concorde. As an ex-BA Technician, I used to work both 747 and 757 among other types. First class HKG return was probably the best staff flight!!

Nearly flew in a Canberra in my RAF days, got weathered off!! Chipmunks and Dominie as a cadet (proper aircraft smell)
  • Thank you both for your posts.

Andy - I can't believe you turned down the chance of a flight on Concorde!  With regards to the Sunderland Flying Boat, I've heard that there may still be one in airworthy condition flying up in either Canada or the Americas, so perhaps if that is the case one of our community members will enlighten us? 

I have been inside a stationery Short Sandringham which is on display in a museum in Southampton, which was interesting.  At first  I was a bit perplexed at the opening windows but then realised that of course they wouldn't have flown at a particularly high altitude.
  • I have travelled in Boeing 747s on a few occasions, including first class on Virgin Atlantic on one occasion. Such a great travelling experience! I was quite sorry to reach the destination, where I was obliged to leave this lovely environment!

I have never travelled on Concorde, but had a good look round the one preserved at Brooklands Museum.

Deborah-Claire - do try to go on an Airbus 380 while there is still the chance. My wife and I did quite recently, to Abu Dhabi and back with Etihad. Great airline and great aircraft!

• I have flown on all 3 air-crafts mentioned with following experiences:

- Concorde I flew twice (LON-JFK by BA and JFK-CDG by Air France): The reminded my of Fokker-F27 Friendship planes but much more opulent (they are incredibly small inside! Excellent meal, tons of caviar and best bubbly and wine. By the time you finish a leisurely meal, time to land at destination and depending on where you were going at JFK BA provided helicopter to destination (assuming landing pad) or private limo.

- Boeing Jumbo: The first configurations had a nice bar/lounge in the upper deck with seating capacity of 6-8 people!

A-380: I think this is a magical aircraft, incredibly spacious and very, very quiet. Pity it will disappear since hub-spoke is becoming passé and we have many point-to-point direct flights. I can second the note that one must try to fly one of this before they are all grounded. Airbus did not realise (as Boeing did) that point-to-point flying will be the future.

Best wishes
  • Thanks Denis for your post. What a great experience to fly first class in a 747.

The A380 is on my target list of aircraft so hopefully I'll manage that one before it stops flying.
  • Hi Kiritkumar 

Thanks for your post. Lucky you to fly on Concorde not once but twice, that must have been an amazing experience.  I didn't realise that BA then provided a helicopter service to point of destination, although in view of how much tickets cost to fly on Concorde it seems the least they could do.

• There is a whole list of 747s still flying here (published yesterday):-
    https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/these-are-the-last-boeing-747s-you-can-fly-in-the-world/

It's 40 years since I first flew on one, and now 2 years since my last (Qantas across the Pacific - their last one flew a couple of days ago).
  • Thanks Roger for sharing that list. I think my most likely option for a future flight on a 747 will be with Lufthansa.