This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Kelly Marie.

Mornin' Kelly Marie,

are you a radio amateur at all? Do your radio shack lights go dim when you transmit? I stumbled across this guy in America and thought that you might find it interesting. Just look at his large collection of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXHWhfgGZps

Z.

• Hi Zoomup yes I am a licensed ham my call is G1TGM. No my shack lights don't dim when I transmit but then I only run 50 watts although they do dim a bit when the heater in the shack comes on
  • Hi Kelly - GW4EYO here. Have not been active for many years and that was as GW8AOC when as a Class B we were restricted to 430 MHz and above, All valve transmitter and a solid state 70 cm converter to 28-30 MHz to an all valve receiver Lafayette HE-30

With communicating on HF professionally, the novelty wore off; 1.5 kW cw Morse and less power on USB also a separate transceiver for radio-telex. Various marine bands 410 kHz to 25 MHz and a brief calling to Portishead from the South Pacific on an aeronautical frequency one evening, which I shouldn't have done, but I got a telephone call through...

With radio-telex, 10 watts into a 10 metre whip off Cape Horn back to Portishead Radio was quite doable.

73s Clive

• G8NUP here inactive for many years having been Class B working 2m. Played with all sorts of valve kit from early youth at school. I could not master morse as I have no sense of rhythm so could not get past about 8WPM. I applied a couple of years ago to get my call sign back and purchased a fancy all singing and dancing HF transceiver which will run up to 100W. Inverted V in the loft cut for 20m so not great but have worked all over Europe and the odd contact in the USA even under the current poor propagation conitions. Perhaps when the sun spot activity improves may be able to work VK.  No point trying to work below 20m as signals drowned out by local EMI from my neighbors electronic devices. 

A fancy going mobile to some remote location with lightweight kit and an aerial strung up a tree one day.
  • Erm.......I had a C.B. radio once, does that count?

Z.
  • I had a Dan Dare walkie talkie (wired) with two feet range

• Blencathra:

I had a Dan Dare walkie talkie (wired) with two feet range

Nah, that don't count as it's not a proppa wireless. It's got wires. But Dan Dare is a legend....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CunLqb6-HoY                                                                                                                                              Z.

• G6IRW here but no longer active. I still have my 2m and 70cm kit but I have not checked it works recently. High winds reorientated the 70cm and 2 meter beams to near vertical a few years ago and they would be good for satellite communication. I will find the time to go on the roof one day and try to fix them but as the years go by the roof appears to get  higher, the floor further away and my nerve is decreasing.

This enforced isolation is giving me more time but so far I have spent it filling two skips, building a wood store and organising a community volunteer group. In a few months I may get around to sorting the aerials and radios out and getting back on the air.
  • I hope those that can will get back on air would be fun to work  all of you on air I hope that eventually the sun will behave itself again and we can enjoy good conditions again. I fully agree the level of QRM on HF is definitely worse now than it's ever been. I remember years ago there were a few clicks and buzzes but not the horrible hash we have now still it is what it is can still work DX and that's what counts
  • Never been a Ham but I was an avid SWL a few years back, (1990s...ok more than a few). Even then the hash on the HF bands was getting noticable, despite my shack/mancave being at the far end of a 40m long garden.

I imagine these days it would be far worse with powerline wireless devices, and SMPS's in everything :(
  • Does owning and running a wide area business radio system in mid band (160/170MHz) count?