This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Why has discussion on the alleged "Climate Emergency" been shut down?

I want to know why, and who shut down the most viewed topic in the Club forum. Its Engineering content is obvious, and very large indeed. The answer to the problem is supposedly Electricity, and yet we cannot discuss it!
  • Good question C.Eng Dave, I thought that the Savoy Place Virtual Club Forum was created precisely to provide a forum for Professional Engineers/Forum Members to discuss topics of a more general nature, that do not fall neatly into any of the other purely technical, wiring regulatory or career centric areas!  

As responsible professionals, we have a duty to consider the broader aspects and societal implications of our designs, developments and physical installation and implementations of our work. Keep up the good work chaps - in a true democracy, we all benefit from free discussion and unfettered debate.

• It would appear that the original 'question' had been lost, and there was little real discussion, not helped by this style of "platform".

The human factors issues (rather than technical factors) are becoming far more important in modern political and big engineering project matters. We are often "confusing the electricity with the wires" when looking for those "in power"

(Human factors: i.e. the impact of "social media" aka universal global communication - c.f. the effect of Gutenburg's printing press back in history)

(power: apparently a comment by Enoch Powell).
  • Regarding the reason given for this discussion thread being LOCKED this morning at 10:22 on 2nd March by Lisa as below (reply #101):

Posted by Lisa Miles on Mar 2, 2020 10:22 am

Hi All

We're now locking this topic as it feels there is nothing new or of value to engineering being added to this discussion.

Lisa

Lisa Miles - Online Community Manager, Engineering Communities

- for the reason of having 'nothing new or of value to engineering' approximately 5 months since the topic was raised by Roger Bryant on 3rd October 2019 - I am sorry, but I thought the 'Savoy Place Virtual Club' Forum was specifically created for exactly such 'fun and  general discussions', set apart from the purely technical concentrations of the other forums here on the IET website. Is there an undisclosed general policy to LOCK any discussion thread after either 5 months or 100 replies - Lisa ?  Please let us know what the rules are and we will respond accordingly !
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I'd have to say I was a tad surprised that this particular thread had been locked as it added nothing new or of value to engineering

Regardless of individual positions on climate change, there was a lot of relevant information in the thread so far - so a pity it had to come to an end, particularly as it's engineers who will (or won't) solve the issue one way or another

Anyways - I'm off to chuck some more oak on the woodburner (I won't be checking the moisture content as it's been in my log shed for at least 2 years) - hopefully it'll be a bit more environmentally friendly than my oil boiler

?

OMS

• Is this the same Lisa Miles who wrote this on my '1984' thread?

679b4b21c365d14377dbf1ebbb2efbdd-huge-lisa.jpg

https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/807/24015?post_id=117636#p117636

Best regards

Roger

• Thank you Gentlemen for your support. I am afraid that this degree of "censorship" is now common, particularly on the MSM eg BBC. It is said that the "science is settled" in the editorial policy, as well as a requirement to say "due to climate change" to any incident, whether correct or not. Take the wildfires in Australia, the reason was always said to be climate change, but it was not a sensible reason and there was no data at all to prove this. A change in weather of temperatures 1 degree hotter than some other date does not cause severe fires. It was environmental rules which stopped controlled burning and other work, which had been carried out for many many years to prevent severe fires! In my view (I assume I am allowed to have one) is that the science is not at all settled, in fact most of it is bogus and false. It is simply the work of charlatans chasing after grant money. The computer "models" are certainly not in any way modelling the real atmosphere and are filled with so many fudge factors that their predictive value is zero. This is so unlike real Engineering models, such as P-Spice circuit simulators, as to be a joke. Also we cannot be told the original data or source code because they are "proprietary", an assumed value statement to gain credibility where none is due. The models have so far overestimated potential temperature increases by up to six times, in the last 40 years, and real temperatures have not risen steadily, as has the CO2 level, so again they do not show any useful relation to reality. There is also the case of the temperature records in the past being changed to lower previous results, and the loss of many feature periods by "homogenisation" of results, in other words straight fraud to make the past match the narrative. Would anyone like to challenge my view?
  • Hi All

Just to jump in here. There is no 'censorship' of any discussions around Climate Change. It is certainly a topic worthy of debate. However, the specific topic in question was straying off topic.

You are free to start new topics in the forum on the subject of climate change but please keep on topic and keep things civil and professional.

Lisa
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Apparently we now have 17% of children suffering nightmares about climate change scenarios as they are being increasingly espoused by the scary people

How long before we get a clash between XR and Mumsnet  ?

XR - we are all going to die a horrible death unless we turn the planet back into some stone age slum managed in the best traditions of some Marxist theology

Mumsnet - DFUQ,  you grimy unwashed lunatic - stop frightening the kids else you be getting a good shoeing, chum

OMS

• Wonderful OMS! However this is only part of it, the recent protest by Greta Thunberg et al, cost Bristol ratepayers £20,000 to repair the damage to College Green. It also prevented a great many school pupils from learning something useful, rather than listening to useless speeches against our political system. As you say, Stone Age thinking is winning.
  • I am not sure Lisa whether I should start a new thread, with a very carefully designed title to continue the discussion which was viewed over 4000 times. I wonder if you read E&T? What do you think of the editorial policy clearly operating there? I have written several letters to the Editor about the content, which is suitable for most 15 year old school children, as I thought we were supposed to be an Institution of highly educated Engineers. Just where is the rock solid Engineering? I have had zero reply! Oh dear, slightly of subject, but probably of interest to members!