This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Windows 7 Support Ending. Security Risks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51090407

Z.
  • This has been signalled for a long time, but typically, now that there is only a day of support left  people are taking it seriously.

I understand that as long as you have an official copy of Windows 7 and you have the product key you can still upgrade to 10 free today (and may be tomorrow) by downloading it from Microsoft.  If you really don't like W10, I have heard of someone who has upgraded to W10 and runs W7 as a virtual machine within the W10 ring-fence.

David
  • IMO upgrade to W10, it only upgrades and loads patches about once every 2 weeks or alternatively, move over to linux for free....

Legh
  • I too spotted the article.

The truth is that my 'puter became so slow that I had to change so now I use an iPad for surfing. The old one is now just an e-mail client.

As for my main 'puter, apart from the installation phase, it has never been connected to the web. My 6 ft wide firewall can be a bit of a pain at times, but short of burglary, I know that it is safe. ?

Oh yes, and I don't keep stuff in the clouds either.
  • How does he do that?

I have Win7 Pro 64bit, my wife Win10 64bit.  I know that if I go to Win10, then I will likely loose my colour laser printer, my scanner (which I had to buy because my previous WinXP scanner had no available Win7 drivers) my Software Defined Radio (a SDR-IQ) and an aircraft ADS-B receiver, plus I still have not found my way round my wife's Win10 pc, so if I fiddle with it I cannot always get it back to where it was.

And there was me thinking that all those other versions of DOS were better than DOS 5.0...  And that was a quantum leap from DR-DOS for me.

For what it is worth, from another forum some time back when WinXP was coming to an end, it was suggested that there was a version of WinXP for non-pc use ie cash-machines which were not subject to the pc users seemed to have when WinXP support ended, such as slow down.  Will be interesting if my pc goes slow later this week....  

From one who used paper tape,

Clive

• If you go to the Microsoft web site, then they will offer to sell you a copy of Windows 10.  If you managed to keep Win10 off your computer, despite Microsoft repeatedly trying to install it by the back door, then it's too late for the free 'upgrade' now.  If Microsoft wasn't trying to install Win10 while you weren't looking, then your PC must be so obsolete that it can't run it.
  • I am sure that W7 machines will not suddenly slow down.

Mine became almost unusable as a web browser because of the huge amount of code behind yer average page nowadays.

From a former punch card user. ?

• I understand that as long as you have an official copy of Windows 7 and you have the product key you can still upgrade to 10 free today (and may be tomorrow) by downloading it from Microsoft. 

There was a period when win10 was first released when you could upgrade for free - but I thought that had long since passed. It wasn't always physically possible anyway - if you system happened to contain components (esp. on the motherboard) that win10 didn't support then the upgrade would fail anyway (whether free or not). Sometimes you might be able to get new win10 drivers from the hardware manufacturers, but often not if the hardware is no longer current.

- Andy.
  • I fought and fought against having W10... BUT, I had to download it, for free, (be careful where you download it), and it's really good PLUS, as it's on top of W7-8 everything runs as before really... with a few 'tweeks' BUT... if you want to keep everything as is on W7-8 then here's the best way while having W10 on your PC!!

Watch the youtube video, (further down the page), especially the end part, as it will explain about downloading https://ninite.com/ that has tons' of downloads, that are actually useful PLUS... after watching the video you'll find out what downloads you need to get so that your new W10 looks exactly the same as your previous W7-8!

OK, this video is very useful... watch and then go to 'ninite.com' if you want to... youtube video... How to download W10 and then make your PC look like W7-8

I'm daft as I was worried about W10 but... it has some great features and some things that need sorting our, anyways - hope this is helpful!

regards... Tom

• Versions post XP are really slow installing drivers, it is a pain waiting five minutes whilst the computer flaps about just because you've plugged a "new" development board in. XP would just mount it or ask immediately for a driver.