This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

News flash to Electronics types with a PC - Microcap 12 circuit simulator is now free. I am told the 32bit ver. also runs on WINE/linux

A nice circuit drawing engine, Spice simulator on steroids, with other things for tuning up filters, plotting Smith charts etc. Used to be about £5k per seat until spring last year. Now after nearly 40 years, it looks like the company owner is retiring or something, as it is all now being given away free as part of closing down, which must be  one in the eye to the likes of HP, MW office etc.

Effective 7/4/2019, Spectrum Software is closed. Micro-Cap is now free.

Technical support will be available for at least 90 days via email at Support.

You can download the latest versions of Micro-Cap here: Download

You can choose either the executable program or the entire installation CD

I have used a much earlier version in the days of DOS and found it very good (designing power supplies and op amp filters  in those days) but I could never justify buying it for personal use.

Not sure how long we have before the website folds.

Apologies to all those who already knew, I have just found out.

May well be worth down loading just to be able to draw nice circuit diagrams, even if you do not simulate them.  They look like this

• If running under wine in LINUX, if there are problems with the saving of files set you may need to set the windows version to be spoofed

to winxp in winecfg
    as described here

Under windows,  saving just works as it should anyway.

Run program
    Insert a component ( e.g hit "r" to create a resistor, 'c' for cap etc )
    click on the circuit sheet to place the component and hit "ENTER" to close the Dialog
    Invoke the File/save menu item and attempt to save somewhere.

• 'Spice on steroids' indeed. An excellent piece of software.

It appears to load up reasonably easily. It does have a windows beware pop up that will not allow the program to continue automatically. I suggest you press More info and then press continue. That will do it.

Thanks Mike

Legh
  • Many thanks for this Mike.  I had no problem downloading and installing on Windows 10, and had a quick try out.  I particularly like the clear User manual and Reference Manual.

Looks excellent, if only I had this a few years ago.

Thanks again,

David