This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Quiz question for the electronics minded...

I only just found this out myself by chance! Sir Alliott Verdon-Roe was well known as the founder of aircraft pioneers AVRO, later famous for the Lancaster of course, and of flying boat manufacturers Saunders-Roe who later became famous for their hovercraft. But which company did he and his son Geoffrey also start, which has helped many of us here out of a problem thanks to its best known product? The clue's in their name...

Cheers,

Andy
  • That could be AVO of meter fame for the older ones of us!
  • I wondered about AVO but I always thought it stood for Amps Volts Ohms.

Best regards

Roger
  • I also thought of AVO (briefly) but it isn't. I have to confess I had to look it up (and even Google had problems finding the right answer) so I will keep quiet. My excuse is that my field is more power systems/heavy electrical engineering rather than electronics and I would never have got the answer otherwise. Good question, though.

Alasdair
  • The AVO was a good answer, I've no clue what the right answer might be.
  • Think of a paxolin board with a regular pattern of holes, and copper stripes connecting them, used for electronics prototyping.

It maybe what it is famous for but only small part of what they did.
  • Mike,

Looks like you have the answer that matches what I found on-line.

Alasdair

• mapj1:

Think of a paxolin board with a regular pattern of holes, and copper stripes connecting them, used for electronics prototyping.

It maybe what it is famous for but only small part of what they did.

?

I deliberately didn't mention that Saunders-Roe was trade named SARO as I thought that would make it too easy!

Back in my early teens when I was messing around with Airfix kits of AVROs and SAROs and building little circuits on VEROboard I had no idea of any of the connections (not even the AVRO and SARO one)...no internet in them days.

Cheers,

Andy