This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Making artificial daylight panels from old TVs?

Came across this video (below) of someone turning an old TV screen into a daylight light panel!

So I'm now sitting here wondering where I can get my hands on a broken TV screen or monitor.... #wheresmyscrewdriver ?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    That's rather cool - last time I was down at the local recycling centre there was a skip full of flat TV's and monitors  - which shouldn't be too difficult to liberate, I guess

I might just give it a go - but given you can buy one for less than £50, I might just ask a lighting supplier for an "evaluation sample"

OMS

• OMS:

I might just give it a go - but given you can buy one for less than £50, I might just ask a lighting supplier for an "evaluation sample"

Ahh but that's not the point OMS! ?

That's like my other half when I run in from the garden like an excited 3 year old clutching my first ripe tomato of the year, freshly picked from the tomato plants I've been carefully nurturing in the tomato house since early March and he says....

'But you can buy tomatoes from the shops....'

Being resourceful and having the knowledge to make something yourself is quite addictive. Even my 4 year old niece has started putting her broken stuff to one side so she can ask Auntie Lisa if she can fix it when she next visits.... ?

If I can get my hands on a broken TV I'm definitely going to give this a go! I promise I'll blog about it too... ? 

• They'll make photographer's light boxes, for those who still shoot in film or have slides that need to be rephotographed, although you might just buy a 300mm2 LED panel....

Legh
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Lisa Miles:
    OMS:

Ahh but that's not the point OMS! ?

Maybe not - but it is a pragmatic approach taken by engineering types. If I thought that spending 4 hours in the shed was good for my wellbeing, then yes - at pretty well any other level, then probably not.

That's like my other half when I run in from the garden like an excited 3 year old clutching my first ripe tomato of the year, freshly picked from the tomato plants I've been carefully nurturing in the tomato house since early March and he says....

'But you can buy tomatoes from the shops....'

And he's right - however, it depends on the value placed on that tomato being home grown

Being resourceful and having the knowledge to make something yourself is quite addictive. Even my 4 year old niece has started putting her broken stuff to one side so she can ask Auntie Lisa if she can fix it when she next visits.... ?

Addictive maybe - it has certainly become cool to be a "maker" - I spent the first 10 years of my working life running around in big boots and a boiler suit in the mineral and mining sector and the power generation sector - so "making" holds less appeal to me perhaps. Knowledge of "how" to make it isn't quite the same as making it.

If I can get my hands on a broken TV I'm definitely going to give this a go! I promise I'll blog about it too... ? 

Sure, why not  ?

OMS

• Mwhaaahaaahaaahaaaaaa.......

Big thanks to my colleagues in the IT Dept who retrieved this from the WEEE bin for me.... ?

cc68f09704f89f48d72b92c400b5d282-huge-img_8660.jpg

Watch this space.... ?