This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Last orders for queue jumping in pubs thanks to facial recognition system

Been reading this article in E&T online about an AI company using facial recognition to determine the order of service at the bar!!! Genius!!!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Back in the day, the phrase "Have one yersell, barman" used to resolve the issue - you never spent very long queueing for the next round of pink Gin, the facial recognition was effectively instant !!

Regards

OMS

• Lol ..... Its only as good as the operator

I haven't read the article, as yet, but I could forsee the bar manager running the bar while on his/her hols using the IoT to communicate with the bar staff.

and flashing up beligerent customers on a large TV screen telling that they are banned, then sending a notification to the local nick to send round the boys in blue  ........

Legh
  • Hm!  Well this is certainly clever in concept, but I see this exercise more as a trial for proving an application that has wider and more-serious potential applications, such as identity checks at customs or other security control areas.

It is easy enough to serve everyone in turn at a bar without resorting to complex electronics. What you do is direct people into a single queue, preferably approaching the bar from one end and moving along as service proceeds. Even set up a guard rail in front of the bar to make the direction more obvious.

Bar staff like this; particularly when there are multiple staff at the bar. It enables then to check who is next with a quick glance along the bar, and avoids the aggro of customers thinking they have been passed by. Customers like it; they can see for themselves that they are being served in turn, and there are no worries about their identity being passed on.

I have only occasionally seen this simple but  effective arrangement in use in bars, clubs, shop payment counters, etc, though banks use it a lot. I am surprised that its use is not more widespread.
  • I see Royal Caribbean has  a bionic bar to serve passengers as many as one-thousand cocktails a day, so you just order and wait (or pick the one that looks nicest)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/blog/robot-bartenders-shake-things-up-at-sea/
  • There has been a recent stink about a private company using this technology in the St Pancras station development. One of it's share holders is talking about withdrawing it's capital because of the sinister nature of such.

Amazon are already fitting FR cameras in their high st outlets to monitor customer behavior, repeat visit frequencies et al

Sometimes, it is better to not do something just because you can.

I am not a fan of all this personal data gathering. Adolf Hitler loved gathering large amounts of data on the populations of his newly conquered countries and this did not bode well for the Jews.

Whilstever we have a benign Govt, people will say "What is wrong with facebook, twitter, whatsapp etc.

I say, learn from the lessons of the past, and do not take the future for granted.

Now Alexa - b***** off.
  • "Whilstever we have a benign Govt, people will say "What is wrong with facebook, twitter, whatsapp etc.

I say, learn from the lessons of the past, and do not take the future for granted.

Now Alexa - b***** off."

Sounds about right. However, its probably going to get worse or better and then deteriorate. Its similar to you know what, where all the money leaves but  we keep telling ourselves not to be negative...what curious times we live in

There are other examples in history like the departure of the Romans, King John or Hentry III and Simon De Montford, or The opposition to the divine right of kings. Take your pick there are loads to choose from......

Legh