This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ferrybridge Gone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294971/Boom-Explosives-destroy-cooling-tower-spectacular-blast.html

Z.
  • I remember it from my childhood when we used to travel E-W, before the M62 was built. We also passed numerous collieries in the W. Yorks coal fields.
  • There is something perversely beautiful about old industrial sites.
  • The first of many more to come.  We have Sat Nav now, so we don’t need them for navigation and wildlife can find something else to colonise.

There are many people still around at the tail end of their careers, who were involved in was once at the leading edge of technology. There were many early teething troubles with the new 500MW units, including the famous Cooling Tower collapse at Ferrybridge  https://indoaero.com/2011/12/14/vibration-damages-towers-case-ferrybridge-cooling-towers-collapse/ .  It is tempting to see these old power stations and the collieries that were once also common in that area as dirty and polluting. However, The Generating and Coal Boards were responsible for a huge amount of skilled employment with excellent training opportunities. I’m no longer in contact with the Training Centre at Ferrybridge A, but without such establishments (The Uniper Academy at Ratcliffe on Soar is an excellent example) our capability to deliver vocational skills is diminished. 

There are only so many career opportunities in forced Rhubarb! Is anyone familiar with skills training and career opportunities in renewables?

• Yes, this is not the first time a cooling tower at Ferrybridge "C " has crashed to the ground. In 1965, Mother Nature had a good puff and took out three of them. Someone with a camera happened to be at the right place at the right time and took this dramatic picture.

sse.com/media/389267/HistoricFerrybridge4.jpg

(Picture from SSE, last owners of Ferrybridge "C" under privatisation)  Note also in the picture the pylon - sorry - transmission tower, and the excessive and inconsistent lean on the insulating pot suspension strings.

Ferrybridge "B" was a distinctive landmark on the A1, and in due course Ferrybridge "C" became an even bigger landmark on the A1(M) and M62 - and of course the railway. I drove by in February 2016 and saw for the last time Ferrybridge "C" "in steam", with just Unit 3 running. I'll be passing again in September to see it for the last time with its seven remaining cooling towers.

In my CEGB days I did a spell of work at Ferrybridge "A" and "B". "A" was the small but noisy one. "B" had the sweltering temperatures; the temperature in the boiler house must have been well in excess of 50°C. As for "C", it provided a grand walk through the turbo-generator hall on the way to the site canteen.

At least I can say I was there!