This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Weekend Observation Quiz. X Rated.

In the old T.V. series Danger UXB in episode 10 there is an AVO meter used.

Q.1. Which model is it?

Q.2. What is the location of the old power station shown?

WARNING. There are some soppy bits and some biological scenes that may offend some viewers with a weak constitution. But the series was shown on T.V. in the late 70s so can't be too shocking.

I love Judy Geeson. What a fine actress.

Clue. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xjle0

Good luck,

Z.

• I used to enjoy watching that Zoom.

I will sleep on it with no google before I wake, I`ll probably still fail though.

AVO! that was a m/c back in the day, quite rugged too

• ebee:

I used to enjoy watching that Zoom.

I will sleep on it with no google before I wake, I`ll probably still fail though.

AVO! that was a m/c back in the day, quite rugged too

Hello ebee,

yep, the AVOs were very rugged, and BIG. I have just come across this about the wonderful world of the AVO meter. I could never afford one as a young man, and had to do with a smaller almost pocket sized Japanese multi meter, which served me well. The maker of that analogue meter is still trading.

http://www.jaftech.co.uk/cvrs/images/documents/pdf_articles/Avo.pdf

Z.

• My first multimeter was an Altai, I miss the needle meters as you could tell much more from first jerk to settled reading than with a digital loads of numbers spinning around. Bar graph on digi meters mitigates this a little bit. Happy days.

Watching all the excitement about the first moon landing fifty years on reminds me of another bygone -  my first tape recorder captured touchdown, 3 inch spool battery operated rather than the proper mains  ones which had spools the size of a car tyre - shoppertunities advertised in weekend newspapers. again happy days.

anyway . Back to the quiz ..............................

• Q.1. Which model is it?

Complete guesses - AVO 8 and Bankside (I was going to say Battersey but the chimneys aren't on the corners).

The link seems to be to episode 11 rather than 10 BTW.

(I remember the series being originally broadcast too!)

- Andy.

• ebee:

My first multimeter was an Altai, I miss the needle meters as you could tell much more from first jerk to settled reading than with a digital loads of numbers spinning around. Bar graph on digi meters mitigates this a little bit. Happy days.

Watching all the excitement about the first moon landing fifty years on reminds me of another bygone -  my first tape recorder captured touchdown, 3 inch spool battery operated rather than the proper mains  ones which had spools the size of a car tyre - shoppertunities advertised in weekend newspapers. again happy days.

anyway . Back to the quiz ..............................

Yes I agree about the usefulness of needle type analogue multimeters ebee. I still use one occasionally, especially for fault finding and some electronic work where I want a stable reading.  Altai did a large range of audio leads and other electrical, audio  and electronic items. I used to buy Altai items in bulk years ago from wholesalers in Birmingham. The catalogue was large.

I still service old cassette tape recorders as a hobby. I like the working moving parts and sound combination. Mending them is like a big boy's Meccano hobby.

Z.

• AJJewsbury:

Q.1. Which model is it?

Complete guesses - AVO 8 and Bankside (I was going to say Battersey but the chimneys aren't on the corners).

- Andy.

Thanks for correcting the error Andy, I am only half alive today after a very stressful day yesterday sorting out some lighting which was wired in a special unique way, neither three plate or conduit style. What should have taken an hour or two took most of the day. So I am very tired and less than sharp. Any way I did succeed eventually. The customer saw me getting very stressed and kindly offered to leave me alone so that I could concentrate on the work. Kind of her. I find fault finding easier with nobody talking to me and distracting me.

Is that your final answer?

Z.

• It's a Model 40, which is correct for the period.
  • And it's Fulham Power Station.

Couldn't be Bankside - it's nothing like the Tate Modern.

• Zoomup:

AJJewsbury:

Q.1. Which model is it?

- Andy.

Thanks for correcting the error Andy, I am only half alive today after a very stressful day yesterday sorting out some lighting which was wired in a special unique way, neither three plate or conduit style. What should have taken an hour or two took most of the day. So I am very tired and less than sharp. Any way I did succeed eventually. The customer saw me getting very stressed and kindly offered to leave me alone so that I could concentrate on the work. Kind of her. I find fault finding easier with nobody talking to me and distracting me.

Is that your final answer?

Z.

I took episode 11 as the clue, not expecting an error. So if its an error, where's episode 10?

Never the less, it will either be an AVO 6, 7 or 8. Model 7, early editions, would be appropriate for the age but being a TV production it could be any model...probably a Blue Peter cardboard edition.

Legh

• We really are showing our age no guys.

The good thing about old age --- I does not last