This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

City and Guilds Qualified Electrical Engineer

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I recently saw an ad by a British company that is looking for a City and Guilds Qualified Electrical Engineer.

I never have seen such a job title so I was curious.

later I understood what is meant by this job add, it's actually an opening for an Electrical Engineer who has City & Guilds certifications.

"Key Skills
  • Electrical competency City & Guilds 2360 parts 1+2 or equivalent NVQ

• F-GAS category 1

• IT literacy good working knowledge of emails, Excel, Word

• Demonstrable experience of working on mechanical & electrical systems

• Experience of working with -48volt DC power systems

C&G 2382 BS7671 17th Edition up to and including AMD3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations.

• Relevant technical qualification (must relate to electrical engineering).

• Country specific training courses (relating to country rules / regulations as to wiring standards, installation practice, testing regimes etc.

• Relevant knowledge of country specific regulations or rules related to electrical installations (such a qualification must be formally assessed, simply issuing a document will not be deemed suitable).

Desirable:-

C&G2392 Stand-alone Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification

C&G2391-01 (replaced) Inspection, testing, and certification of electrical installations (Inc. course components 101 & 102)*

C&G2391-02 (replaced) Design, erection and verification of electrical installations (Inc. course components 102, 201 & 202)*

C&G2394 (new 2014) Initial and Fundamental Inspection and Testing

C&G 2395 (new 2014) Periodic Inspection and Testing"

I don't represent this company, just thought it was an interesting job title.
  • HI Moshe,

Yes, just goes to show how much we can forget that well known "trade names" in one country don't always travel. I'd imagine most people in the UK industry would know exactly what a C&G Electrical Engineer was (the rest of the job description in your post describes it pretty well) - probably far, far more than could really describe what, say, a CEng was!!!

If I wanted someone to rewire my house I'd rather they had a set of C&G 7671 qualifications than a degree in electrical engineering...

Interestingly I notice that CGLI themselves list these qualifications under "Electrical Installation", wheres they use the title "Electrical Engineering" to refer to their graduate and post graduate level qualifications. But I think that's fighting a losing battle.

Cheers,

Andy