This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

The Institution of Social Engineering

Why didn't the IET go the whole hog with its re-branding and give itself a title that describes its new role?

E&T magazine is getting tiresome with its continual promotion of an unproven ideology that has nothing to do with old-fashioned 'engineering', the stuff that used to be based on controlled trials and experiments, and experience of what works.

Apart from the letters pages and Vitali Vitaliev there is nothing worth reading. We can already get the drip-drip social engineering indoctrination for free via the BBC and The Guardian's websites so its tough having to pay for it to be re-cycled by the IET.

Coming soon, bridges made of paper and aircraft of lead, we must break the stereotypical use of steel and aluminum!
  • Hi James,

I think you know what you're trying to get across here, but I'm not clear at all. Can you give some examples?

At the moment it reads as if your suggesting that engineering innovation should be discouraged, which I don't think was your intention.

Thanks,

Andy
  • Andy, the clue is in the title:

Social Engineering: The use of centralized planning in an attempt to manage social change and regulate the future development and behaviour of a society.

The majority of 'features' in the current issue of E&T, (Vol. 14 Iss. 6), are concerned with Social Engineering. Unlike real engineering this is a subject that brooks no debate, it is driven by a self-loathing socio-political movement that seeks nothing less than the destruction of Western civilisation by breaking down institutions and enslaving the populace. It is aided by those that it calls 'useful idiots', which it has recruited using the tools of language inversion and rousing mob hatred. Try raising a word against it and experience what I mean!

What used to be a magazine for the membership has become a vehicle for authors to advance within their own sect of the modern media circus, patting each other on the back and looking for a position on The Guardian or the chance to win The Saul Alinksy Award. The captive membership just has to sit back, stay silent and just keep paying for it.

Innovation is the life-blood of engineering but should someone create a paper bridge or lead airplane they will be doing so to meet a specific need and only then as the result of completing successful trials or on the basis of a sound theory, not because they are following an ideology that seeks 'equal representation' of materials within applications and with no regard to the well-being of the society on which these defective contraptions would be inflicted.
  • Which features in Vol 14 Iss 6 do you mean? I still have no idea what you are trying to say!!

Thanks,

Andy