This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Trains to Glasgow to have 'chat carriages' this Friday

So, is this your ideal trip or your worst nightmare - chatting to strangers on the train - and will this idea take off?

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/trains-glasgow-chat-carriages-friday-16426104

All I can say is that I am glad my next trip is on Tuesday!
  • I think its a great idea,! ?
  • I have been known on many occasions to strike up conversations with complete strangers while on public transportation.... ? Sometimes the chat is reciprocated and other times met with absolute terror... ? 

I've found the best formula involves never asking anything that would involve the other party divulging anything personal (where they live etc) as that can scare some people, and to leave the ego at the door and make fun of yourself as it puts others at ease.... ?
  • I guess it depends who you're chatting with! 

Theoretically I think it's a great idea, however I'm usually the one stuck talking to some slight 'oddballs', or perhaps I'm the oddball...? ??
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Will there be complimentary Buckfast - as an icebreaker,  you understand ?

Ohhh - and translation services available

OMS

• As a Londoner I was of course brought up to never, ever, talk or even make eye contact with anyone on trains, or pretty much anywhere else for that matter. But having spent almost half my life in Cornwall I am now the nutter on the train ?

I think it's an excellent idea!

• Mind you, I got hoist by my own petard yesterday on what felt like a very long train journey from London to Taunton...there's a difference between on the one hand having a chat, and on the other sharing a coach with someone (about 5 rows away) who wants the the whole carriage to hear that "I like to have a laugh, that's just me that is, that's what I'm like, me I can't stand people who can't have a bit of a laugh". I'd love to know how to calm people down in these situations without risking getting thumped! (Just getting the volume down, he wasn't being deliberately unpleasant at all, just - ahem - overexcited.)  Ideas on a postcard please...

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Millar:

.I'd love to know how to calm people down in these situations without risking getting thumped! . Ideas on a postcard please...

Cheers,

Andy

I detest sleeve tuggers and self proclaimed people with "personality" - they are a nuisance of the first order.

Regards

OMS

• Lol ... all the nutters and screwballs will head for that carriage. I doubt too that many females will want to head for that one either. Conversations strike up naturally not by some do gooding company policy.

However, in the event that this company policy eventually reaches the trial stage then I might suggest that wifi cctv is installed.

Legh ?

Legh Richardson:

Conversations strike up naturally not by some do gooding company policy.

Legh ?

Listen out for the emerging dialogue Legh - there is an increasing drumbeat about this sort of thing emerging from our political classes who would like us all to take collective responsibility for each other and the well being of others, including their, and our mental health  - it's the same sort of vibe that seemed to suggest we all had to be responsible for each and every brat that accompanied parents who couldn't or wouldn't impart the basics of control over said "angels"

I absolutely guarantee if you watch the next few weeks worth of Question Time (other TV programmes at which to shout, are available), there'll be some lame brain on there telling the world that we all need talk to peepul  - 'cos we're all speshul

Me?,  - I'll be maintaining my "don't complain, never explain" philosophy and give them a good stiff ignoring.

#Hushnow

Regards

OMS

• Hello all,

Just a quick reminder to keep things professional; some comments have gone too far and have been Moderated. Although this is the ‘fun’ space, please be mindful that what may be fun for some, is not for others!

For a refresher, you can find the Community Etiquette guidance here.