This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Batman Train??

I was out for a walk last night and coming up alongside the railway line when all of a sudden two huge blue searchlights appeared in the sky followed by a train? It was really foggy and misty so the light was scattered and made quite a spectacle!

I've never seen it before. What was it and what was it doing? Can any of our Railway engineers enlighten me?

I did whip out my phone and try to take a picture but it was very dark and my camera wouldn't focus properly. Below is a rather fuzzy and out of focus image that I did manage to get though:

c97f37fb270b42fd2205c2b0a30fe439-huge-batmantrain.jpg

I did wonder if it was Batman taking the 20:35 out of KGX.... ? ?
  • The new-ish British rail measurement train has been doing the rounds then.

Its is effectively a big mobile scanner for bridges, track side kit and  is taking a scan so they can record what they have and what needs to be maintained. Replaces a team of chaps in high viz walking the lines tapping and kicking things hopefully.

it has caused questions when it has been seen at night before https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/you-see-pillar-blue-light-15379790  in Teeside for example....
    https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/16144798.video-train-causes-strange-blue-ufo-across-bucks-and-oxfordshire/  then also  around Buckingham and Oxfordshire.

Now it seems London gets the treatment as well.
  • Oooh! Thanks for that info Mike! ?

Never seen it before but I guessed they were inspecting the overhead lines or something. Sounds like a pretty sophisticated piece of kit!

I live not far from the railway line so I'll attempt to get a much better photo in the future... ?
  • The idea has been around for 10-15 years, initially videoing tracks looking for wear and gauge problems, but I think like all computerized things, the process is probably getting extra bits added to it from time to time.

EDIT Network Rail have some more info, as an example of one of many special vehicles they have.
    https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/looking-after-the-railway/fleet-machines-vehicles/new-measurement-train-nmt/

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Ohhh - I read batman train and thought "Here we go, Lisa's gonna be doing everything from House to Trance" and rushed off to dust down the whistles, dust masks and cyalume light sticks.

I got back to find it's just scanning track 'n stuff

OMS

• Ohhh - I read batman train and thought "Here we go, Lisa's gonna be doing everything from House to Trance" and rushed off to dust down the whistles, dust masks and cyalume light sticks.

Now there's an image!
  • Behave now OMS , nice new forum.. !

Hmm now I can't remember quite why these lyrics are in my head ...

When your barber takes
    a little less time each week
    the kids don't understand
    a word you speak

When you walk into a disco
    and they offer you a seat
    you're the oldest
    swinger in town.

Maybe it's an age thing ?

• OMS:

Ohhh - I read batman train and thought "Here we go, Lisa's gonna be doing everything from House to Trance" and rushed off to dust down the whistles, dust masks and cyalume light sticks.

I got back to find it's just scanning track 'n stuff

OMS

That's actually quite funny OMS since I'm currently listening to this playlist on Spotify while writing amendments for our moderators guidelines... ? ? ? ?.... ?
    I thought the moderators guidelines say something like "Walk Softly - Carry a big stick" and "Don't do as I do - do as I bloody tell you"

Anyhows - I'm sure you used to cut quite a dash mincing around Pasha's and Hed Kandi HQ back in the day ?

Regards

OMS

mapj1:

Behave now OMS , nice new forum.. !

Sure, just rearranging the seats in the snug bar, Mike ?

OMS