This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

On this Day in 1980: Do you own a Rubik's Cube?

And more importantly, can you solve it? wink

On this day in 1980 the Rubik's cube made it's debut at the Toy Fair in Earls Court and yes I did own one and yes after a while I was able to solve it.

And yes, actually, I do still have one.... its an over-sized one that lives on my office desk.. laugh

d28090876f8192a405ad6e67f8c26ceb-huge-img_32801.jpg

However, I'm not able to solve it as quick as this.... sad

• I did indeed own a Rubik's cube back in the 80's, and after a very frustrating week I managed to complete one face... and my sister had the temerity to accuse me of taking the stickers off...

After months of frustration I eventually gave in and bought the book, and after a while I could solve the cube in about three minutes. Most of my friends got it to under two minutes - there were all sorts of tricks and tweaks to "speed up" the cube by dismantling it and lubricating the mechanism with petroleum jelly, but after a while it migrated to the surface and caused the stickers to slide off. The same techniques used for the cube also applied to the hexagonal barrel thingy that came out about the same time. After leaving school in 1984 I never saw another cube until about 5 years ago - we were visiting friends when one of them produced a cube with the promise of a bottle of wine if anybody could solve it.

It was very nice wine for 15 minutes' work but I'd have preferred a red!
  • I was obsessed with Rubik's cubes as a kid although they weren't all that popular with my age group.

I used to keep (at least) one in my locker at primary school.

Yes, I could solve it.
  • I've had several. My children love them too. This link is the easiest way I've seen to solve quickly ?