Want to participate in the forum? log in to post.

New Brand

14 Replies - 283 Views

New Brand

Posted by Mark Tickner on Jan 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Might as well be first in with the inevitable discussion!

Given that someone is always likely to state it; can I state (with tongue in check) that obviously the IEE Lion logo was much better cheekydevil
Although, purple (and various tones thereof) is one of my favoured colours.
Mark Tickner MEng (Hons) CEng MIET MINCOSE

Re: New Brand

Posted by John Ging on Jan 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Agreed, the "Lion rampant" was at least a logo.
The new clean lines look like something I designed as a 4 year old back in 1984.
It might have seemed futuristic, trendy and modern back then but its horribly outdated and cold now (despite being only its first day).
Was any feedback sought in advance of launch?
Surely there was a better option? - literally any other design would be more contemporary than the "purple diodes".
I doubt this design is down with the kids and it certainly isn't felt by any members I've spoken to about it.

Posted by Simon Barker on Jan 29, 2019 7:36 pm

After watching the launch video, it seems it's supposed to mean "Institution equals Technology".  Or something like that. frown
I'm sure it means something to the marketing people who came up with it.

https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=12698

Posted by Mark Tickner on Jan 29, 2019 8:39 pm

No one ever likes new logos (well except marketing departments, graphic designers and sign makers).

Give it another 5 years there will probably be another different one in any case.  For those who really don't like the new logo; it could of been worse, they might have gone with Dogbert's coffee stain logo!

Personally I'm ok with it and I like the colour scheme.  The new front page looks a little cleaner too.  Is it my favorite logo? probably not.

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Jan 30, 2019 9:06 am

There was some feedback. I remember responding about six months ago on various options for the new logo, and from memory the new logo is the one that I put at the top (as in "the one I dislike least" rather than "the one I like most").
Alasdair

Posted by Christopher Knibb on Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am

Thank you for all your comments on our new look and feel. We’ve updated it to better reflect who we are following feedback from our members suggesting change was needed to make the IET more appealing. They also  wanted us to better reflect the exciting and inspirational world of engineering and technology.

Our new look and feel - from our colour scheme, tone of voice, imagery and logo etc -  will ensure we remain modern, relevant and inclusive, helping us to communicate our impact on engineering a better world. While we appreciate it would be difficult to create a re-engineered brand that appealed to everyone, we are confident our new look will work better for us (such as on digital platforms). Our new visual identity and tone of voice have been developed over the past two years, with input from our members, customers and volunteers across the globe.

Chris

Posted by Legh Richardson on Jan 30, 2019 3:10 pm

Well, at least the committee didn't go for the floral look ..... Generally  looks ok

Legh
www.leghrichardson.co.uk

Posted by Ross Currie on Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Mark Tickner:
. . . obviously the IEE Lion logo was much better cheekydevil

I've still got my IEE lapel badge with the lion on it . . . the IET doesn't seem to have done lapel badges at all, unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Ross Currie EngTech TMIET

Posted by Mark Tickner on Jan 31, 2019 7:59 am

I suspect, much to the horror of someone in marketing, I've still got letter templates with the old Lion on from my days as a Hon. Officer way back in the 90's.  When I glanced into my archives, I also noted that I had a copy of the brand guidelines that were issued when we became the IET!

One of these days I ought to clean out the archives, but the disk storage space is negligible.

Posted by Ronald McMurtrie on Feb 2, 2019 11:36 am

Some may recall fron the distant past, the IEE tried rebranding the logo, ending up with one of 3 legs. Now we have three bars!

The IEE logo was quite quickly dropped following a number of quite amusing variations being published.

Ron McMurtrie

Posted by Michael Wrigley on Feb 5, 2019 3:20 pm

I've got an IET lapel badge. Youngsters might call it a "pin". Don't think I had to ask for it, it just arrived one day.
Can't remember when I last wore it though. I don't think anyone around me would know who or what the IET might be.

On 4.2.2019 19:44, IET Engineering Communities wrote:
I've still got my IEE lapel badge with the lion on it . . . the IET doesn't seem to have done lapel badges at all, unless someone can tell me otherwise?

Posted by Michael Wrigley on Feb 5, 2019 3:23 pm

Where do you have to go to actually see the new logo?

Posted by Lisa Miles on Feb 5, 2019 3:26 pm

Michael Wrigley:
Where do you have to go to actually see the new logo?

Lisa Miles - Online Community Manager, Engineering Communities

Posted by Mark Tickner on Feb 5, 2019 3:35 pm

Michael Wrigley:
I've got an IET lapel badge. Youngsters might call it a "pin". Don't think I had to ask for it, it just arrived one day.
Can't remember when I last wore it though. I don't think anyone around me would know who or what the IET might be.

On 4.2.2019 19:44, IET Engineering Communities wrote:

I used to have an IET polo shirt when i was an active volunteer.  I have no idea where it is now; I don't usually throw things out.

However, at risk of going off-topic, I remember there used to be the Peter Peregrinus shop at Savoy Place (in what is now the Flowers Room).  I recall there used to be a range of branded items on sale, that as a poor student I could never afford.  I guess that it wasn't an efficient use of the institutions resources to stock clothing and other items in that way - the only item that is left is the members tie.  With design-to-print services I'd imagine it would be far easier to do now.

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Feb 7, 2019 2:44 pm

Of course, as with all rebranding, it will take time to be fully implemented.
[copied 30 seconds ago]IET Career Manager
Alasdair

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in