This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

New Brand

Might as well be first in with the inevitable discussion!

Given that someone is always likely to state it; can I state (with tongue in check) that obviously the IEE Lion logo was much better cheekydevil

Although, purple (and various tones thereof) is one of my favoured colours.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Agreed, the "Lion rampant" was at least a logo.

The new clean lines look like something I designed as a 4 year old back in 1984.

It might have seemed futuristic, trendy and modern back then but its horribly outdated and cold now (despite being only its first day).

Was any feedback sought in advance of launch?

Surely there was a better option? - literally any other design would be more contemporary than the "purple diodes".

I doubt this design is down with the kids and it certainly isn't felt by any members I've spoken to about it.

• After watching the launch video, it seems it's supposed to mean "Institution equals Technology".  Or something like that. frown

I'm sure it means something to the marketing people who came up with it.

https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=12698
  • No one ever likes new logos (well except marketing departments, graphic designers and sign makers).

Give it another 5 years there will probably be another different one in any case.  For those who really don't like the new logo; it could of been worse, they might have gone with Dogbert's coffee stain logo!

Personally I'm ok with it and I like the colour scheme.  The new front page looks a little cleaner too.  Is it my favorite logo? probably not.
  • There was some feedback. I remember responding about six months ago on various options for the new logo, and from memory the new logo is the one that I put at the top (as in "the one I dislike least" rather than "the one I like most").

Alasdair
  • Thank you for all your comments on our new look and feel. We’ve updated it to better reflect who we are following feedback from our members suggesting change was needed to make the IET more appealing. They also  wanted us to better reflect the exciting and inspirational world of engineering and technology.

Our new look and feel - from our colour scheme, tone of voice, imagery and logo etc -  will ensure we remain modern, relevant and inclusive, helping us to communicate our impact on engineering a better world. While we appreciate it would be difficult to create a re-engineered brand that appealed to everyone, we are confident our new look will work better for us (such as on digital platforms). Our new visual identity and tone of voice have been developed over the past two years, with input from our members, customers and volunteers across the globe.

Chris
  • Well, at least the committee didn't go for the floral look ..... Generally  looks ok

Legh

• Mark Tickner:

. . . obviously the IEE Lion logo was much better cheekydevil

I've still got my IEE lapel badge with the lion on it . . . the IET doesn't seem to have done lapel badges at all, unless someone can tell me otherwise?

• I suspect, much to the horror of someone in marketing, I've still got letter templates with the old Lion on from my days as a Hon. Officer way back in the 90's.  When I glanced into my archives, I also noted that I had a copy of the brand guidelines that were issued when we became the IET!

One of these days I ought to clean out the archives, but the disk storage space is negligible.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Some may recall fron the distant past, the IEE tried rebranding the logo, ending up with one of 3 legs. Now we have three bars!

The IEE logo was quite quickly dropped following a number of quite amusing variations being published.

Ron McMurtrie

• I've got an IET lapel badge. Youngsters might call it a "pin". Don't think I had to ask for it, it just arrived one day.
    Can't remember when I last wore it though. I don't think anyone around me would know who or what the IET might be.

On 4.2.2019 19:44, IET Engineering Communities wrote:

I've still got my IEE lapel badge with the lion on it . . . the IET doesn't seem to have done lapel badges at all, unless someone can tell me otherwise?