This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

#OnThisDay in 1896.....

#OnThisDay in 1896: the Glasgow Subway opened. Keeping it simple for all these years allowing people not to get lost underground wink

7be76413b00cd95365bde5f0e32b3acf-huge-glasgow-subway.jpg

• I have travelled on all four of the networks shown and the biggest problem on three of them is the interchange (and it should be pretty easy to guess which ones I mean). In Glasgow the only thing you can get wrong is to go the wrong way, which just means it is a longer journey than intended - you still get to the right station.

Alasdair
  • Ahhh...the clockwork orange! (I understand that the locals don't call it that, but when we worked on it we certainly did.)

What I find amazing (and rather fun) is that the trains were pulled by cables until 1935. From Wikipedia:

The cable was driven from a steam-powered plant between West Street and Shields Road stations. There was no additional cable to allow trains to reach the depot; instead, they were transferred to and from the running lines by crane operating over a pit at the Govan workshops. This also meant that the two tracks could be completely separate, with no points anywhere. 

The trains gripped the cable when they wanted to move and let go at stations. And it's 4 foot gauge with doors only on one side (I assume they still are?) - I do love a quirky railway...

Good article about it here: http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r048.html

And lovely old article from 1898 here: http://www.cable-car-guy.com/html/ccgds.html

Cheers,

Andy

• Of course for simplicity of interchanges with three lines you can always try the Prague Metro - as we did last weekend, it was lovely...

5329d25945c8fc1073064842830191c3-huge-prague_metro_plan_2015.svg.png

• Thanks Lynsay - simple design, but where did people get on and off???

Happy Christmas
  • Andy,

I generally suggest to visitors from France that they could compare the Prague Metro to the Parisian RER especially in terms of intervals between stations and the depth of the tunnels. The Parisian Métro can be compared with the Prague tramways. No doubt you noticed the spaghetti that the day-time tramway map represents.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the most beautiful city in the world. Today, tourists have a special treat : Prague under the snow, replacing the sea of red roofs with an expanse of white.

Májk
  • Love it! Reminds me of the time my grandma and six-year-old me missed our bus stop. I was most upset, but the wise old dear just sat tight - and about half an hour later we got off at the stop we'd just missed, having taken a wonderful mystery tour and seeing parts of the town I'd never seen before. Which I'm sure is why now, 45 years later, I'll never take a direct route if there's a scenic route instead!