This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

And the first music CD you bought was by...?

On this day in 1982 Sony launched the first CD player for the consumer market. I think many of us remember a time before the CD player and some of us may even still have our vinyl collection stashed away in the attic (although I understand that Vinyl has been making a bit of a comeback recently so I'm hopeful of being able to play mine again sometime soon... smiley). 

I bought my very first CD player in 1986 after I'd left school and started work and saved enough money to buy my very own. It wasn't a Sony though. Instead I bought a Pioneer music stack system that had a tape deck, FM radio and a 6 CD multi-changer!  The ultimate in technology at the time... laugh 

So it got me thinking... Do you remember your very first CD player and what make was it? And what was the first music CD you bought too! 

My first music CD was Kick by INXS blush so I thought you may enjoy one of the tracks:

• My first CD player came as part of a mini-system - I think it was a Panasonic.

But I remember with much more pleasure my fist "Dansette" record player, and the first single record I bought specifically for it was ABC by the Jackson Five. Of course, being a prototype engineer, I converted it to stereo, using the internal 2 valve amplifier for the left channel, and a 3 valve, 5 watt, external amplifier for the right channel.

Who on here remembers buying their first gramophone? :)

Or cylinder player - with horn!cheeky

• I had a little separate CD player which I could plug some headphones into.  It would be considered huge by modern standards, but it was fairly small for then.

First CD?  Bound to be something by Queen!
  • Mine was the early Sony Discman D-50 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discman#/media/File:Sony_D50_Discman.JPG ), a portable CD player with a holder containing batteries for carrying and a separate docking station to connect to the hi-fi. I bought it in 1985 at which time I think it was the only portable CD player available. The first music CD was, I think, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms closely followed by Mozart Violin Sonatas played by Daniel Barenboim and Itzhak Perlman.

I also remember buying my first 'gramophone', or stacked hi-fi system as it actually was , about half a dozen years earlier, which I still have, though the radio doesn't work. The little (by the standards of 1985) CD player only lasted about seven or eight years even though it cost about as much as the entire hi-fi system had.

Alasdair
  • My first CD album was Now! 30, still have it somewhere.

I think my first personal CD player was in a boombox type thing, I think we had one in the living room before then, but that had to shared of course smiley

• David Parr:

But I remember with much more pleasure my fist "Dansette" record player, and the first single record I bought specifically for it was ABC by the Jackson Five. 

Thanks David Parr‍ .. I now have that tune going around my head this morning... laugh

My first record player belonged to my father before he then gave it to me. I'm not sure what make it was but it was a portable record player where you un-clipped and lifted off the cover which became the speaker. I really can't remember the first single I bought although it would have been something from the late 1970's though. I can however remember the first album I owned (not bought) and that was Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles! Again given to me by my father. I still have it up in the attic in my vinyl collection... wink

• First CD I bought was Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, took me a little while to upgrade my Sony Walkman to the Sony Discman.

At home I think I had a Sony multi stack system which had my first CD player (for bedroom) and was forever being told to 'turn it down' -
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I remember I bought a Stereo c/w CD player from Dixons. My 1st CD to play on my new stereo was the Communards. Could only afford 1 CD so got bored of listening to  the same CD all the time. Then I found Britannia Music Club and my CD collection increased ... mostly with CD's I did not really want but forgot to send back.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    My first CD player was a massive Technics separates system with JBL speakers that my dad handed down to me in the mid 90s. I remember the MASH system being all the rage, despite being too young to care at the time.  

I think I mostly borrowed his Metallica and Led Zeppelin CDs, but the first one I remember buying for myself was "What's the Story..." by Oasis. All of this is still in regular rotation!

These days I have a Denon mini system that's rarely used, a new pair of JBLs, an Ariston Q deck that's older than me (and still brilliant) and a Garrard 301 that needs restoring. 

**Edit: Technics not Pioneer... doh!
  • Up until about 1991 my entire music collection was on cassette tape and vinyl. Then in 1991 I entered the 20th Century - I went to Curry's and bought a  stack system (akai I think) that had a turntable on the top, a radio, a twin tape deck and a CD player. It came with three free CDs - and I remember being astounded at the sound quality. Wires everywhere... And the first CD I remember buying was a compilation - can't remember which one, but it'll still be in the cabinet at home - guess what I'll be doing later!

A lot of my early CDs were purloined by my oldest daughter - who has the same tastes in music as me, and decided that since I was lucky enough to have lived through the Oasis/Blur/Pulp era I could make do with the memories!
  • My first CD Player was part of a technics system that my parents bought me for my birthday.  First CD was Parallel Lines by Blondie.

I've got lots of vinyl records stashed away both 45s and 78s, some of them are coloured vinyl which was popular during the Punk/New Wave years and I believe worth quite a bit of money now.  I do remember being given my parents old mono record player in the mid 70s when they upgraded to a stereo system.   I also got gifted some of their records, the best of which was a Beatles EP in a photographic cover featuring Twist and Shout and Do you want to know a Secret? amongst the tracks.