This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

On this Day... Super Mario Bros. is launched!

On this day (September 13th) in 1985 the iconic Super Mario Brothers by Nintendo Entertainment Systems made their first appearance.

Which got me thinking...

Gaming has come such a long way in recent years but I still remember the first electronic game I played which was Atari's Pong back in the late 1970's. My favourite (and most addicted to cool) was Lemmings for the Commadore Amiga in the early 90's and then when smartphones came into being, I was one of the millions that downloaded the Angry Birds app (playing it endlessly on long flights or train journeys) and the mobile verson of Tetris (which I still play on occasion)

So tell me, what was your first computer game and what's your current or all time favourite? smiley

• Ooh good question! 

I don't quite recall Pong, but I do remember playing Asteroids, Tetris, Lemmings, Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda (the latter two games when my brothers weren't around and I could get a look in!). 

I also played Snake on my first mobile phone which seems very dated now but was so addictive. These days I don't play so many games but I'm partial to Word games and I'm a tiny bit hooked on the new basketball game on Facebook's Messenger app! laugh
  • Ooh, here's a trip down memory lane!

I seem to remember my favourite as a child in the '80s and '90s was Asteroids or Space Invaders - I can't really remember the difference between them.  Closely followed by Pac-Man, Tetris and Lemmings.  And there was some sort of dungeons and dragons game that I used to like.  And let's not forget Sonic the Hedgehog!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Cool topic! It's quite difficult for me to remember the first game I ever played, one of the earliest that comes to mind is Prince of Persia for the Sega Master System, I must have been about 5.

My all time favourite game is definitely The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The Zelda series goes way back and it's really cool seeing what it used to look like compared to what it looks like now. Very different styles of game play as well. Some of the older games are much more highly rated in terms of game play so it goes to show that graphics aren't everything.

Image result for zelda then and now
  • My first computer game or the first one I played?

My grandparents had an Atari 2600 with Pong and Space Invaders to keep us grand-children quiet.  In the mid-80's my parents brought a Philips Videopac, which has such gems as 'Crazy Chase', 'Satellite Attack' and 'Terrahawks'.

My first computer was a Apple Macintosh LC II/Performa 400 and I didn't have many games on it.  I did have Lemmings and a really excellent (and clever) game called Crystal Quest.  The other game I enjoyed playing was embedded within the screensaver, called Lunatic Fringe.

I recall at University someone installed DOOM on the computers in the engineering computer room and they where playing networked DOOM.  Something the admins got quite unhappy about.

But it was much later that I got my first games console, a PS1.  That introduced me to the Grand Turismo series of games (which I love to this day, despite it's faults).

These days?  I'm likely to fire up Minecraft and help my little one build things.  Or take a sports car for a spin in Grand Turismo.  The little one likes to blow up Worms.  I seldom play on the phone; all the games on that are used to keep the little one occupied!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    My dad is a massive gamer, so I've been surrounded by games for as long I've been on this planet. I don't ever remember not having some kind of games console, but the earliest one I remember owning was a NES. I also used to play my neighbour's Commodore 64, although they were around before I was born - I can still remember the agonising decision making process of whether or not to put a different game on because it took so long to load!

At home I have two SNESs and my wife's old Amiga 1200!

Best game ever? Tough call! My personal favourites are Super Mario World on SNES, Final Fantasy games, Deus Ex on PC (ahead of its time!), Total War games on PC and Unreal Tournament on PC.

From a purely engineering perspective, I've got so much love for the Unreal Engine (it changed everything for game development) and the Panasonic 3DO (such a tragedy that it didn't take off because it was ahead of its time and an outstanding piece of equipment).

• My youngest brother is a huge gamer and has probably had over the years nearly every type of games console ever made! 

I remember as a very young teen he wrote a new level for one of his favourite games and submitted it to the manufacturer. They wrote back to him and said to give them a call as they would be interested in giving him a job! It was in the USA though and he still had a few years to go at school...  I don't think they realised just how young he was at the time. laugh
  • I have fond memories of playing Tetris on Nintendo on long car journeys - my sister and I had to share it and we used to constantly fight over who got to play on it wink

Also used to play a lot of MS DOS based games: some sort of asteroid game, some kids maths games and a car racing game (which I was awful at, crashed all the time!)
  • The first computer game I played was probably Hungry Horace or possibly the Breakout game that come on the demo cassette with the ZX Spectrum. Then I started typing them in from magazines and so on.

I don't know about an all time favourite; different games for different seasons.  If I was pushed I'd probably have to go for Finders Keepers.  I also enjoyed Phoenix on the Atari, although it was no where near as good as the arcade version.
  • I remember playing Snapper on my brother's BBC Acorn computer and I recall some fisticuffs with him over Battleships, but I've not touched a game console since.
  • I've never really managed to get into video games in a big way, but I had an Atari 2600 TV game that had the "pong " games, arcadians, millipede, tennis etc. Then I had a Sinclair ZX81 (still in the loft with the 16K RAM pack, beefed-up power supply and thermal printer with 6 fresh rolls of shiny paper!) It came with a cassette tape of ZX Breakout - which is also still in the loft. My daughter has an old Nintendo system with some of the old Mario games that are strangely addictive...