This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Savoy Place History

I had the opportunity to visit Savoy Place with my little one today.  The Faraday Centre is a really nice resource and it's a shame I don't have the opportunity to make use of it a bit more often.

But as I was explaining that it has changed over the years (as things must), my little one didn't believe me that the old members coffee room used to be a dingy room in the basement behind the Faraday statue which was under the shop.  Also they were surprised when I mentioned some of the other things that have changed (like the foyer, the old library, etc).

I was wondering if anyone (IET staff or member) had archive pictures of what it used to look before the updates were made?  Unfortunately I was less of a shutter bug in those days.

Mark
  • Mark

You might be interested also in the history of Savoy Place if you've not already viewed this resource, it makes for interesting reading. We're fortunate that our building is on such a historic site.  
    https://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/institution-history/history-savoy-london.cfm

I'm sure our Archivist Anne Locker‍ will have some images that she can share with you on what Savoy Place looked like before the upgrade.
  • Mark,

Jon Cable the Assistant Archivist has forwarded me some images of the Library and Theatre Lecture c. 1930s and 1960s for you.
  • Thanks to both of you for that.

I reckon my first visit to Savoy Place must of been around 1995, with a sporadic trips back over the following 15 years.  Although, those pictures pre-date that quite a bit!

Other then the additional of the computers for catalogue searching and a different arrangement of the tables, I don't think the old library changed a huge deal into the 90's.  But the old lecture theatre!
  • I just found this picture of the old Kelvin Lounge

And I seem to remember this was the members room just before the refurb - with bookcase wallpaper and a room full of computers for members to use.  It was really tucked away - you had to know it was there to use it!

And of course if memory serves correctly what is now the Faraday Centre used to be the small lecture theatre - was it the Turing lecture theatre?  But the Faraday Centre makes much better use of the fabulous views!

4f1ac55493a124052405ef3eec68a0f5-huge-if286635_429long.jpg

• That was the Council Chamber and alongside was the Mountbatten and Nuffield rooms ( I think? ) smiley
  • My three favourite things about the refurbished Savoy Place:

1 The Faraday Centre - looking out when its dark outside and the river/panorama is illuminated is such a great view

2.The Roof top terrace - being here day or evening is a treat, how lucky we are to have this facility.

3. Wall of engineering objects - brings back happy memories and showcases some excellent achievements in techology

• One of these days I'll manage to get onto that roof terrace!  Do they post the opening days anywhere online?

Ah yes, the wall of engineering objects is very good - especially when you have a younger one with you who doesn't recognise some of the item smiley.

• Mark Tickner:

One of these days I'll manage to get onto that roof terrace!  Do they post the opening days anywhere online?

IET Members can have a general look around on set days - next dates available are 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st August. No need to book. 

• I'd definitely recommend the roof terrace (when it isn't raining smiley), fabulous views. Many a meeting I've had at SP would have been much more pleasant if we could have had it up there!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    At Savoy Place today and popped up to the roof terrace ….. great views out over London.

fff2b449a049362efcbbf643daffb524-huge-savoy_place.png