This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Knowledge Centre

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
For those who are not aware of one of the membership benefits we have a lovely Knowledge Centre (Library) based in Savoy Place, London. There is a friendly staff member to help with your enquiries, loan you books and sell in person IET Ties, Wiring regulations and associated publications. We are open Monday - Friday 9am-5.30 and will send out on loan books to members anywhere in the world. If you would like to browse the catalogue please log into the IET homepage using your username and password then follow this link: http://library.theiet.org/liberty/libraryHome.do

I have been with the Institution as a staff member over 28 years and still enjoy the date to day trials and tribulations.
  • Hello Dawn

I had sent an email to IET membership services few weeks ago regarding purchasing of IET Ties but their reply is still awaited.

The IET Islamabad Network Pakistan Volunteer Team (approximately 10 persons MIETs) want to purchase the IET Ties to wear on IET Events.  I asked the total cost up to delivery at doorstep and how much time will it take to reach to us.

Secondly, when the price of one IET Tie is compared with the EC UK Ties and Other Society's Ties, it seems that IET Ties are costly.  would you like clarify it please.

Thank you.

• Reply is still awaited please.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Dear Nouman

I sell in person ties from the Knowledge Centre in London and unfortunately I am unable to answer your enquiry, the person who might be able to help you is Tim Byford who is based in our Stevenage office. I will cut and paste your question to him and forward it on for you. With kind regards

Dawn

Dear Stephen

As a member of the IET you have access to the Knowledge Centre  in person if you wish to visit the IET in London or from home. For more information please log into the IET homepage using your username and password then follow this link: http://www.theiet.org/resources/library/index.cfm

If you scroll down the page you will be able to see the “search the Library catalogue” and the “Virtual Library” this will give you access to e-books and e-journals.

If you need any assistance or further information regarding the Knowledge Centre please email libdesk@theiet.org

With kind regards

Dawn

Dawn White

Reading Room Librarian

No, this is only available at Savoy Place due to licensing agreements.
  • Just learned that books 24x7 is no longer available in the virtual library. I was not even notified. I had books that that I had been reading now they are gone!!

Dawsonera only allows  preview of 50 pages. 

Wiley e-books has just over 100 books.

The digital library is accessible through knowledge packs, payable if more than 10. 

All the other books published by the IET are not even accessible without the knowledge packs. 

According to the Royal Charter, 

The objects and purposes of the IET are to promote the general advancement of science, engineering and technology and to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas on these subjects amongst the members of the IET and otherwise.

Being a mere affilliate of another PEI, I feel that the resources that I get from them are more than what I get from my IET. 

It would seem I need to pay more (through knowledge packs) to benefit from exchange of information as set out in the Royal Charter, despite being a member.

Most of us do not get the opportunity to visit Savoy Place, and therefore cannot access British Standards online and IEEE Xplore.

We apologise that you have lost access to the text you were reading via Books 24x7. We regularly review content available via the Virtual Library, to ensure that we are providing the best service to IET members with the resources we have. The Virtual Library still includes access to Knovel and Wiley e-books – if you are not able to find the text you are looking for in these services, please email the Library Desk at libdesk@theiet.org and we can look at adding the full text to Dawson-ERA or to our lending library stock.

• Just spent half an hour trying to access Books 24x7 then found this post which seems to imply that the service is no longer available. I found this to be one of the most valuable resources the IET has to offer and had many books on my virtual shelf which I refered to. Am extremely disappointed that this has been dropped without any apparent communication with members who use and rely on this service.
    Due to lack of use by members and impending price increase is was decided to no longer continue with Books 24/7

If you have any books which you are interested in please forward the list to libdesk@theiet.org and we will try and get them on alernative electronic resources.