This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Haunted Savoy Place

Just wondering what has happened to the Ghosts that used to haunt Savoy Place now the building had been refurbished?

The headless chickens that ran behind the Lecture Theatre and the actress that used to haunt the back stairs on the 2nd floor?

Are they still there or have they packed up and moved out now? wink

Has anyone ever seen them or had any 'other worldly' experiences while there?

Lisa

• Lisa,

I think they moved temporarily to the IMEchE buildingsmiley. We have to look around and make sure they are back home,but who is the volunteer to do this.

Savvas
  • There were rumours of a medical student ghost who died in the building while it was being used for research, but no recent sightings! The latest I know of is a mysterious lady spotted at the Christmas party some years ago.

The 'official' IET ghost is Billie Carleton who is suposed to have haunted the BBC staff working late in the Savoy Hill studios (now Savoy Hill House). Although the Archives Centre has been open in the lower ground floor since 2014, we haven't seen any ghosts - yet!

Anne

• There is no link between Billie Carleton and the Institution.  She lived at 65 Savoy Court, just off the Strand, not in any of the buildings now occupied by the IET.  Whoever started that rumour could not read addresses correctly!
  • Ooh I’m intrigued with the mysterious lady spotted at the Christmas Party Anne? Are we sure that wasn’t just a case of too much of the Christmas spirits of another kind? wink

I had a very strange experience myself though, in what was the old Nuffield room on the 2nd floor (next to what was the old Council Chamber and is now part of the Faraday Centre) back in late autumn 2006…

I was sat alone in the room and waiting for other committee members of the IET London Network to arrive for a committee meeting. I heard a knock at the door (two firm raps) so I called out "Come in" but no one came through the door. There was another knock so I again called out for them to come into the room. Again, no one came in. A third knock at the door and I got up from my chair, walked over to the door and opened it thinking that the person on the other side couldn’t hear me. There was no one there so I went outside the room and looked up and down the corridor thinking that, by the time I answered the door, they had walked away. I couldn’t see anyone around so I went back into the room and closed the door. My hand hadn’t left the door handle when there was another knock at the door. This time as, I was right next to it, I pulled it open straight away… and there was still no one there and no one along the corridor either! surprise

So I said out loud “Either come in or stay outside but either way stop knocking on the door please!” and went back to my seat. A few minutes later, Tony Hardwick the previous Secretary of the London Network joined me in the room followed shortly by the remainder of the London Committee. We held the committee meeting with no further incident and I haven’t really had any similar experiences in the building since…

I'm really interested to hear if anyone else has had any strange experiences at Savoy Place though!

I've always wanted to do a Halloween sleep over there... wink

• I've always believed that there's something going on in Savoy Place but never been able to put my finger on it. Usually the level of refurbishment that has just been undertaken will wake up any dormant ghosts or spirits so I'd expect the activity to build over the next few months. smiley

I know plenty of people who'd be up for an overnight vigil including myself but I'd be happy with setting up some night vision cameras and some control objects overnight to see if there's any activity...

Suzanne
  • Maybe we should get the "Most Haunted" team in?
    smiley
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Graham Kenyon:

Maybe we should get the "Most Haunted" team in?
    smiley

They were caught out though live on TV.
  • Oooh tell me more David! I don't watch Most Haunted... laugh

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    I don't watch it either, but there was a fake 'spiritual medium' who one of the investigators suspected of fabricating all these spirits speaking through him. When they were getting the equipment up and running for the production, this investigator thought he would test him out, so he just happened to be speaking with another member, (who knew about this), in earshot of the spiritual medium and mentioned there was supposed to be a ghost of a man called Kreed Kafer,(an anagram of the 'spiritual medium', Derek + Faker).

Later that night, surprise, surprise, didn't a ghost speak to Derek (Acorah) and his name was Kreed Kafer............

BINGO!