Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

I.E.T. Local Members Event Disappointment.

30 Replies - 639 Views

I.E.T. Local Members Event Disappointment.

Posted by Zoomup on Jun 29, 2019 7:38 pm

I received an email inviting me to attend a local I.E.T. members' event. I was keen to go. I was required to pre-book. I attempted to register my interest but had to log in (I am permanently logged into this site as I do not know how to log out). Anyway I was sent a passcode to register. As I had to leave the I.E.T. emailed site to open my emails to obtain the passcode and then return to the I.E.T. site it then apparently required a new passcode, newer than the one I had been issued with. I am stumped and can not register to attend the local event. This is  not good. Any clues anyone please?

Z.

Re: I.E.T. Local Members Event Disappointment.

Posted by Simon Barker on Jun 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Why do you have to leave the web site to open emails?  Can't you just open another tab in the browser?

I found that the code they send only works on the page that requested it.  You can request another code by going through the migration progress again.

The other thing to check is whether you need to be logged in at all.  The registration form for events in my area doesn't actually require it.  It just allows the site to auto-complete your details.

Posted by Zoomup on Jun 30, 2019 9:56 am

Simon Barker:
Why do you have to leave the web site to open emails?  Can't you just open another tab in the browser?

I found that the code they send only works on the page that requested it.  You can request another code by going through the migration progress again.

The other thing to check is whether you need to be logged in at all.  The registration form for events in my area doesn't actually require it.  It just allows the site to auto-complete your details.

Hello Simon,
                       thanks for the reply. I do just one thing at a time on the computer so open emails on their own. I am not a computer expert. I tried to register by using the I.E.T's system that required me to log in to register my interest in the event. That seemed to be the thing needed. Modern systems should be simple and easy to use not complicated, otherwise it's technology for technology's sake. 

Z.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 1:20 pm

I’m with Zoomup it appears to be a load of tosh.

Posted by Andy88 on Jun 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Perhaps registering this issue at the 
IET Membership Services  forum would be useful ?
https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewcategory/944

That said, I was under the impression that IF you were logged into the forum pages,
you were also logged in to the main site, and could go forward and register for events.

Likewise, in my experience,
the new trendy pages design has faults and is less than compact, concise and clear
a It says Login (at the top of the page) and yet, I am already logged in  (in reality) as above.
b) to find the event link to register, I have to scroll a long way to the end, and past what appears to be the link to register.

So try being logged into these pages, and then go to your event pages, and you may well find you are able to register despite the status reported at the top of that page.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 1:39 pm

It has just took me twenty minutes to navigate the system to re-register and find out what the local group programme is.

Someone has lost the plot!

Andy 

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 1:51 pm

I’ll expand on why I think someone has lost the plot.

Some years ago I went on a IET Local Group visit to Joy Mining, originally Dowty Mining and now Komatsu Mining in Worcester.

There was an IET member in his late eighties who had caught the train and then a bus from the other side of Birmingham to get to the meeting, I then drove back to the railway station in my van to assist him on his journey home.

I really cannot imagine lifelong members of the IET such as him or indeed a FIET I sat had had my lunch with earlier this year navigating the IET website or looking for IET events on Twitter.

I am not saying there isn’t a place for technology, but this website is not inclusive, which it should be given the IET charitable status to allow people to find their events that are open to all due to their charitable status.

Andy Betteridge 

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 1:56 pm

The other way of looking at it is some people will simply Google the local group webpage and go directly to it, making the rest of the website completely irrelevant.

https://communities.theiet.org/communities/home/155

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 2:09 pm

And before anyone says that the talks and meetings aren’t aimed at people in their 80’s and 90’s can I point out that they are absolutely outstanding guest  speakers as they are the people who brought technology to the level that it is at now 

As an example I went to a talk at Malvern by one of the guys who developed radar.

Suerly there has to be a better way of finding out what is going on regionally than that interactive map.

I rest my case!

Andy B.

Posted by Zoomup on Jun 30, 2019 2:31 pm

I have tried to register from within the I.E.T's site with no success. When I get to the event details I am asked to "migrate" my account, whatever that means. I am also shown as not being logged in, but I am. I give up. Life is just too short. I can visit the venue on my own at another time, but it would have been nice to meet up with other members.

Z.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 3:51 pm

I just tried looking for IET Local events on Twitter, my search returned one result from 2017, I followed it through though I feel most people would have given up and eventually landed here 

https://events.theiet.org/search/?Date=&EventType=&Location=&Organizer=&Phrase=&IsFree=&Page=3

By heck! It’s hard work.

Posted by Andy88 on Jun 30, 2019 5:05 pm

And that also takes you eventually to the Actual event page,
which has one (apparent) button to register halfway down ....
but the actual one is way lower as good as at the end of the page...

And again I am logged in, but suggests that it is not - so Status detection is failing.
(did someone re-use the Boeing Programming team ?)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/boeing-s-737-max-software-outsourced-to-9-an-hour-engineers

so as before in my experience (anyone see it differently? - you can always de-register for an event)
Just click the bottom most link. to register if you are already logged into the forum..

Posted by Andy88 on Jun 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Migration:
Was a disaster of an introduction and pathway to complete 
(or warning in advance, no clear process explanation of what will happen - just that users should expect a process ?)

As I recall, it sends you a link in your registered email address, and that you click on as verification.
After that you can log in as before - with the newly registered password.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 5:51 pm

I had to persuade it I was a registered user first.

In my world where things seem to happen that don’t happen to their people, the last conversation I had about the IET Local Group meetings was in one of my favourite networking locations, the queue at the local chip shop on a Friday night, which takes quite some time to negotiate allowing plenty of time to have a conversation with one of the local group organisers.

That is  probably a bit of an old fashioned means of communication, but actually getting out and talking to people works well.

Andy B.

Posted by Simon Barker on Jun 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Andy88:
Migration:
Was a disaster of an introduction and pathway to complete 
(or warning in advance, no clear process explanation of what will happen - just that users should expect a process ?)

As I recall, it sends you a link in your registered email address, and that you click on as verification.
After that you can log in as before - with the newly registered password.

The lack of explanation caught me out.  I wanted to log on to the IET web site while at work, but the only option I had was to migrate my account.  So I entered my old username, password and personal email address.  I then got a message saying a code had been sent to my email address.  But I was at work.  I didn't have access to my email.

When I got home, I checked my email, went through the migration process again, and entered the code.  It didn't work.

A few minutes later, a new code appeared in my inbox, and that did work.

Posted by mapj1 on Jun 30, 2019 7:58 pm

When I got home, I checked my email, went through the migration process again, and entered the code.  It didn't work.

A few minutes later, a new code appeared in my inbox, and that did work.

I had a similar problem  -  and I work at  a place where we have lots of folk who do IT for a living, and I am far from a novice user. It was far from clear what was going on or which Email the login code had been sent to, and when I finally found it,  (it had not been  sent to  the works email I had requested but to the one that is registered to this account,)  the code had expired, but the error message to say why it did not work from clear. However, I was able to remain logged on via another machine and the old password until the weekend when it could be sorted.
Basically, the initial instructions were  unsatisfactory, the handling of an alternate Email was unsatisfactory, and the error messages when it went wrong were also unsatisfactory. And there is no clear way back at each step; Apart from that it went just great!  Good job the IET has nothing to do with technology ....

regards Mike

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 8:22 pm

I presume Zoomup is interested in visiting the radar museum on a Thursday afternoon, I know things have to be programmed to suit opening times, but that does seem timing appropriate for the over 70’s rather than those in full time employment or education.

Andy 

Posted by Legh Richardson on Jun 30, 2019 9:44 pm

"Good job the IET has nothing to do with technology ...."

shame, one would have thought that the email and logon process would have been ironed out.
IEE - heavy current guys in white lab coats + IIT - PC hackers = 21st century men and woman of insight and wisdom..........

Legh 
www.leghrichardson.co.uk

Posted by MHRestorations on Jun 30, 2019 11:40 pm

The login system also completely fails on my mobile phone. Round and round we go in an endless loop asking me to login...

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 11:44 pm

I presume the passcode only actually verifies your email, it doesn’t actually open the gate to the kingdom.

Though I did get through the process with the second passcode.

Posted by Sparkingchip on Jun 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Of course we could have logged in with Facebook as true professionals do.

Posted by whjohnson on Jul 1, 2019 12:08 am

Had the same migration/log-in problem - was sent 2 codes, neither of which worked. Gave up after that until now.
3rd time lucky I suppose!

Posted by Zoomup on Jul 1, 2019 8:49 am

Sparkingchip:
Of course we could have logged in with Facebook as true professionals do.

Social media..Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssss.

Z.

Posted by Lisa Miles on Jul 1, 2019 11:51 am

Hi all

What you're experiencing is the migration to the new log in process for the IET's family of websites. The introduction of this new process was one of the many reasons why we had to discontinue the old 'fusetalk' software for the Wiring Regs forum. 

The initial migration process is pretty straightforward, if you haven't logged in since it was introduced, you're asked to migrate your account information. You verify that your email address is current and valid by entering the verification code that is sent to the registered email address for your account. You can also choose to sign in using either your Facebook or Google account if you prefer. 

There's some FAQ's on the IET's website:  Single sign-on service FAQs 

Once you have migrated your account, you can log in as usual by simply entering your email address and password in the log in fields and do not have to migrate your account again. This may be why you think you're in a 'loop' as the message to migrate your account is still visible on the log in page if you're not logged in... So if you've already gone through the migration process and want to log in, just pop your log in details in the log in fields.

Hope that helps?

Lisa
Lisa Miles - Online Community Manager, Engineering Communities

Posted by Alex Barrett on Jul 2, 2019 11:13 am

I've not seen anything of 'passcodes' yet but I've not been spending too much time on the site. We try to publicise our events as widely as possible, including printed flyers, Facebook & LinkedIn pages (I can't Twitter), but registering to attend events always takes you back to the IET site. For years we've had oddities with the login process, which require some patience and persistence. Hopefully things will settle down eventually.

Posted by Andy Millar on Jul 2, 2019 2:41 pm

Funnily enough, I was reading this thread yesterday - in Chrome, which  I use on all my assorted devices - and thinking "it's not that bad, worked fine for me, and I can get on to all IET sites from everywhere". Then the very next thing I tried doing was going to the Digital Library (which I hadn't done since the change) - and found myself going around and around the login loop without getting logged in! Changed to Internet Explorer and it worked fine. And having done that once it now works in Chrome.

I don't blame the IET IT team (I bet they did test that and it did work on their particular systems), I blame human society for not jumping up and down and demanding that software companies stop adding bells and whistles and start making generic software reliable across all platforms!

But so the fundamental point very much stands: if a system is not easy to use then vaguely interested members (i.e. most of the membership) simply won't use it. I go to a lot of different events organised by a lot of different bodies, and the vast majority make registration on the organisation website optional. Which makes it easy. Why not offer that? Yes, there are advantages to everyone in being website registered - particularly the IET for marketing purposes - but ONLY if it is 100% reliable. Which cross-platform software never is.

(Note: Dishonourable exception of other organisations being easier: trying to book a bus organised by Bristol City Football club (for a stadium concert, not a football match) where I had to enter my gender three times on three separate pages. I was very tempted to enter three different genders...the bus ticket cost £2 each way...)

Facebook is good if people use it - it's how I get 50% of my info on events, but I know many many people who for perfectly understandable reasons don't want to. And it always surprises me how many engineers aren't on LinkedIn which should be a good medium.

The other 50% of info I get on events is on direct email. Unfortunately I have had to turn off the vast majority of IET email alerts as I could not work out how to stop my inbox getting flooded. In an ideal world LN's would have the email addresses of local members who wanted to be kept informed of local events - again, like most other organisations do! - and then we could just let them know. But this isn't an ideal world. 

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in