Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Creation of IET (Web) Sites for Disciplines like Civil, Mechanical, Electronics etc.

54 Replies - 3049 Views

Creation of IET (Web) Sites for Disciplines like Civil, Mechanical, Electronics etc.

Posted by Nouman Abid Chuhan on Mar 6, 2019 11:25 am

Hi All

The IET is a multidisciplinary Professional Engineering Institution. 

I have noticed that there is a dedicated site for the Electrical Discipline named "IET Electrical" covering the UK National Standard for Electrical Installations BS 7671 and all relevant information.  It is another debate whether the BS 7671 is followed by other countries of the world or not.  It is not my topic now.

Likewise, I would like to suggest that there may be dedicated sites for other disciplines of Civil, Mechanical, Electronics, Chemical, Aerospace etc.  

Looking forward to your opinion/comments, please.

Thank you.
N A Chuhan B.Tech-Hons HND PE.Tech IEng MIET - Islamabad

Re: Creation of IET (Web) Sites for Disciplines like Civil, Mechanical, Electronics etc.

Posted by John Sim on Apr 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Now having spent a little bit of time on these forums I can see that the wiring regulations section needs to be spun off in to its own domain.   It's hugely active which is swamping out the other sections of the IET forums to the point where you can't find the latest posts or topics from the lists in the main page.

I'd also suggest that this may be advantageous to the electrical side too as it would then allow for further subdivision to better serve members.

Re: Creation of IET (Web) Sites for Disciplines like Civil, Mechanical, Electronics etc.

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Apr 25, 2019 8:29 am

I was having similar thoughts but didn't want to be the first to suggest it. I do find the wiring regulations posts to be interesting, but as you say the other posts are suffering. I was away on holiday for a week and when I came back there were twelve pages of new topics to sift through.
I do think there may be other solutions, though, and with all the disruption the BS7671 forum have had I wouldn't wish a further change on them just yet.

Posted by John Sim on Apr 25, 2019 10:14 am

Alasdair Anderson:
I was having similar thoughts but didn't want to be the first to suggest it. I do find the wiring regulations posts to be interesting, but as you say the other posts are suffering. I was away on holiday for a week and when I came back there were twelve pages of new topics to sift through.
I do think there may be other solutions, though, and with all the disruption the BS7671 forum have had I wouldn't wish a further change on them just yet.

Then the answer is to move all the other topics to a different forum.

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am

Not necessarily. If there was a chance to filter the topics so the BS7671 area could be deselected this would have the desired effect.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in