This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Where is the IET going?

The IET on Twitter is mostly about women in engineering and it appears we also have or have had an Executive member who represents the Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers (AFBE-UK). Since when did we get away and direct our selves at subsections of the organization? There is no minorities that I am aware of in the IET at least not because of bias in any way shape of form. The same goes for women in engineering, no one is biased against them. Low numbers are because they dont want to be in engineering..

Where is the IET heading? It does not seem to be going in a place most of the member wold probably want or is it?
  • Agreed with Raymond.  The IET must move forward from it.  Another fact is that there are a lot of women in IET Staff.  I have no problem but the IET is more than a woman.

• Raymond Cragg:

The IET on Twitter is mostly about women in engineering...

Hi Raymond

Yesterday was 'International Women in Science Day' celebrated all over the world so yes of course the IET's Twitter account tweeted and retweeted a lot of content related to that... But that was only yesterday.... I'm not sure it's correct to say that generally our twitter account ONLY contains content related to women in engineering ... ?

Lisa
  • I can’t comment on Twitter, since I don’t participate in that platform , although clearly it has become an important medium. I also think that the opinion that Raymond has expressed shouldn’t be suppressed or criticised for reasons of “political correctness”.   

The IET is a very large membership organisation, which brings together people with different personal characteristics, to share common interests.  There are alternative smaller organisations with a superficially similar purpose who represent a much narrower focus, who attract groups of very specific types people. The IET evolved as an alliance of smaller organisations which themselves evolved from clubs and societies of mainly white British male participants. Their situation could be represented by this 1966 snapshot parodying British social attitudes  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_sketch  Trades Unionism also has to be part of that mix, especially for the cloth capped character.  It is difficult to be precise about when overt racism and sexism became unacceptable, followed eventually by the acceptance of diversity in British society, which the IET as registered charity has to demonstrate and UK law underpins. We can follow no other pathway.

I have found myself very involved in the tensions that exist between those involved in engineering through a more academic pathway and those from a more practical tradition. I tend to side with the latter, although I have a couple of masters degrees done part-time in my thirties.  Therefore, I took issue with female colleagues criticising the “hard hat image of engineering” (the phrase “oily rag” has also been used), because it tends to reinforce class and academic based snobbery, which I feel is outdated and has little to do with professional performance. However, I have to recognise that females tend to be more advantaged in and attracted to, engineering conducted as a "thought process" rather than a practical “trade”.  This may change as the “more practical” end of the spectrum becomes less “macho” and inherently sexist. However, issues arise for the IT domain, which is inherently conducted intellectually and in “clean conditions”, but is also male dominated.  

It is always tempting to “compare and contrast”, often painting others in a negative light compared to ourselves or groups that we affiliate to.  Conducted respectfully and without an emotive element, this has to be part of the function of a professional body to debate and discuss. Some of what we do, inherently sets out to value the contribution of some more highly than others which creates an emotive element. Someone who is motivated to join the IET is likely to feel a connection between their professional and personal identity or status. When our actions leave someone feeling successful, this strengthens the bond, but it may leave others feeling resentful or even bitter.  

As a former FIIE, I’m particularly sensitive towards those who felt that the IET was at least partly culpable in “downgrading” IEng. However, I also empathise with those Chartered Engineers who feel undervalued for various reasons, perhaps in comparison with other engineers and technicians, or other professions.  The largest and most influential “group” of IET members are Chartered Engineers, many drawn from the IEE heritage, including some who are resentful of a loss of identity.

I’m instinctively sympathetic towards AFBE-UK, as I am towards gender equality in the profession. Inappropriate prejudices were at least tolerated if not actively promoted within our profession and we have to make every effort to distance ourselves from that.  As someone who has been involved in engineering for 40 + years. I was never a racist, despite mine being an unpopular view at times. Several of my personal heroes were black. However, I certainly participated in a culture of casual sexism and homophobia, which just seemed “normal” at the time. Sometimes denigrating or diminishing perhaps, but not intentionally harmful or hateful. I'm also probably an occasional snob and inverse snob depending on the circumstances - Ronnie Barker I suppose, except that I try to keep a level gaze
    ?

In my opinion equality and diversity are just part of what the IET should be about. If this is clearly no longer a problem then we should talk about something else, but for the time being it rightly remains a “hot topic”.       

• Roy Bowdler:
     I also think that the opinion that Raymond has expressed shouldn’t be suppressed or criticised for reasons of “political correctness”.   

I think you may have misinterpreted my use of the word 'correct' Roy. I meant correct in the form of 'true' or as in 'right' not correct as in 'politically correct'  ?
  • Hi Lisa, I wasn't referring to your comments, just making a general point. 

• Roy Bowdler:
    I can’t comment on Twitter, since I don’t participate in that platform , although clearly it has become an important medium. I also think that the opinion that Raymond has expressed shouldn’t be suppressed or criticised for reasons of “political correctness”.   

The IET is a very large membership organisation, which brings together people with different personal characteristics, to share common interests.  There are alternative smaller organisations with a superficially similar purpose who represent a much narrower focus, who attract groups of very specific types people. The IET evolved as an alliance of smaller organisations which themselves evolved from clubs and societies of mainly white British male participants. Their situation could be represented by this 1966 snapshot parodying British social attitudes  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_sketch  Trades Unionism also has to be part of that mix, especially for the cloth capped character.  It is difficult to be precise about when overt racism and sexism became unacceptable, followed eventually by the acceptance of diversity in British society, which the IET as registered charity has to demonstrate and UK law underpins. We can follow no other pathway.

I have found myself very involved in the tensions that exist between those involved in engineering through a more academic pathway and those from a more practical tradition. I tend to side with the latter, although I have a couple of masters degrees done part-time in my thirties.  Therefore, I took issue with female colleagues criticising the “hard hat image of engineering” (the phrase “oily rag” has also been used), because it tends to reinforce class and academic based snobbery, which I feel is outdated and has little to do with professional performance. However, I have to recognise that females tend to be more advantaged in and attracted to, engineering conducted as a "thought process" rather than a practical “trade”.  This may change as the “more practical” end of the spectrum becomes less “macho” and inherently sexist. However, issues arise for the IT domain, which is inherently conducted intellectually and in “clean conditions”, but is also male dominated.  

It is always tempting to “compare and contrast”, often painting others in a negative light compared to ourselves or groups that we affiliate to.  Conducted respectfully and without an emotive element, this has to be part of the function of a professional body to debate and discuss. Some of what we do, inherently sets out to value the contribution of some more highly than others which creates an emotive element. Someone who is motivated to join the IET is likely to feel a connection between their professional and personal identity or status. When our actions leave someone feeling successful, this strengthens the bond, but it may leave others feeling resentful or even bitter.  

As a former FIIE, I’m particularly sensitive towards those who felt that the IET was at least partly culpable in “downgrading” IEng. However, I also empathise with those Chartered Engineers who feel undervalued for various reasons, perhaps in comparison with other engineers and technicians, or other professions.  The largest and most influential “group” of IET members are Chartered Engineers, many drawn from the IEE heritage, including some who are resentful of a loss of identity.

I’m instinctively sympathetic towards AFBE-UK, as I am towards gender equality in the profession. Inappropriate prejudices were at least tolerated if not actively promoted within our profession and we have to make every effort to distance ourselves from that.  As someone who has been involved in engineering for 40 + years. I was never a racist, despite mine being an unpopular view at times. Several of my personal heroes were black. However, I certainly participated in a culture of casual sexism and homophobia, which just seemed “normal” at the time. Sometimes denigrating or diminishing perhaps, but not intentionally harmful or hateful. I'm also probably an occasional snob and inverse snob depending on the circumstances - Ronnie Barker I suppose, except that I try to keep a level gaze
    ?

In my opinion equality and diversity are just part of what the IET should be about. If this is clearly no longer a problem then we should talk about something else, but for the time being it rightly remains a “hot topic”.       

We should be diverse and anyone who is qualified for membership should be granted it irrespective if they are male, female or spaceman. Gender is irrelevant. But constantly we are hearing about getting more women into engineering. I have no problem with that but it appears that most women are not interested in entering engineering so maybe we need to stop trying to pressurize women into entering a profession they have little or no interest in. As for the minorities when have they been excluded from becoming members? I have seen nothing in the IET documents that forbid it. They may be in the minority but there is a reason why they are and it is not because of bias, it is probably because of qualifications and experience. The IET seems to be going down a road where numbers / genders / race have to be in certain proportions. Here is a news flash not everyone can or wants to be in engineering.

As for political correctness it appears that has become away of allowing people to only say what others want to hear.

Roy I agree with you on your post the above is just what I see as a clarification for anyone who did not understand what I was getting at.

• Reminds me of a bit in a book from the 1970s, The Home Computer Revolution, which talked about the computer clubs of the era being an almost exclusively male province. It commented that the men at the computer clubs would love to have women come along who they could talk with. Unfortunately they only knew how to talk about computers.......

Alasdair
  • "it appears that most women are not interested in entering engineering". 

You don't have to go back many years to a time when there were almost no female HGV or train drivers. It "appeared" that they weren't interested in these roles. Yet now both are commonplace and unremarkable.
  • Thanks for your message Raymond and for following the IET on our social media channels. We really appreciate receiving feedback from our members. The IET has a long history of supporting women in engineering, having hosted the Young Woman Engineer of the Year awards for many years. Following your message, I asked my team to review recent posts from the IET Twitter account. In the past six months we have posted 849 Tweets. Of these, 87 related to women. Some of these celebrated the accomplishments of female engineers, while many featured an engineer or technician who just happened to be a woman.  Most recently we posted a Tweet about our Young Woman Engineer of the Year winner who has been featured in the Royal Academy’s #ThisIsEngineering campaign, as well as supporting International #WomenInScience Day.

During the same period, we also posted a large number of messages about men. Of particular note were posts about Alan Turing being voted the most iconic figure of the 20th century, winners of our #SantaLovesSTEM competition, STEM Ambassadors, our honorary fellow will I am, prize winners, key note speakers, MPs and the Present Around the World winner and finalists.

Christopher Knibb, Head of Corporate Communications

• I'm my view, it's useful to show all types of people performing engineering roles because it helps to reinforce the viewpoint that engineering is inclusive.  Yes, I dislike "positive discrimination" too - but I understand the need for it.

As an example; my son participates in Brazilian Jui-Jitsu (an offshoot of 1900's Judo, not the modern form for those not aware).  It's a very good self-defence technique and therefore very suitable for females.  However, the number of young females who have visited the gym and seen that the cohort that are training are primarily male and therefore put off... 

Engineering isn't dissimilar; any female (or a minority) is likely to be put off if they walk into an office and find it full of old white males - regardless of whether those people turn out to be friendly or not.

As an aside.  I have worked with people who firmly believed the females should be at home and not working in engineering.  I'd hate to think what they would make of my current employer which is actually fairly diverse as they go!