Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

IET new logo!

4 Replies - 476 Views

IET new logo!

Posted by Cheong Tsoi on Feb 2, 2019 2:36 am

IET new logo! What do you think? It is like a new way to show people to see the digital age of IET.

Re: IET new logo!

Posted by ALC on Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am

I believe it cheapens the brand and diminishes the Engineering in IET! Terrible! 

Posted by jcm on Mar 15, 2019 10:03 am

What does the re-engineered brand represent? 
It is impossible to get it out of your head that it represents Brexit or the Ireland/Northern Ireland Backstop. 

Posted by John Sim on Mar 15, 2019 11:45 pm

The E becoming a pink equals sign really states the direction the IET is going.   Gender inequality.   Rather than treating engineers as engineers we now have a bias.

But without the vertical bar in the E it either looked merged with the I to become ET or vanished to be I=T.

It really doesn't do anything in any way to promote engineering or technology.   The meaning for whatever the IET is supposed to be is lost on it.   Although I'd argue that the IET is a bit lost right now anyway.   There's no symbolism or description in the logo to state what it is for, and really could be anything if it is not accompanied by the name of the institution.

I just hope they never spent much of our money on it.   Poor value whatever they paid.

How to improve it?   Use a symbol that encompasses all the IET is, one which is recognisable for engineering and technology.   Be clearer with the lettering.   Drop the purple and pinks.   And no, I don't think finding a logo which would correctly represent engineering and technology would be easy but then isn't that what engineering is?   Finding solutions to difficult problems.

Posted by David McQuiggan on Mar 18, 2019 5:15 am

I like the new branding. It comes across as refreshing, personable and precise. The no-nonsense, straightforward design has clean lines and the complimentary use of colours has impact and inspires confidence.
The dark "I" and "T" linked by the darker top stroke of the middle "E", seems to line up nicely with the IET's motto "Disce Doce” (Learn + Teach) and symbolises, to me, a bridge or link between the etymologic origins of Institution - from the Latin institutionem for "instruction, education" and the Greek tekhnologia "systematic treatment of an art, craft, or technique,"  or could perhaps symbolise "Teach." i.e the darker top stroke of the "E" could be seen as a  link between learning and teaching/practicing Engineering.
The three strokes of the middle "E" also seem to symbolize, to me, a set of stepping stones, perhaps as a pathway to professional development and accreditation in "E" for engineering?
The brighter coloured equals sign perhaps symbolises a balanced notional equation between the Latin institutionem (for learning/education) and the Greek tekhnologia etymology discussed previously.
The colour palette might also represent the diversity of engineering disciplines and seems far more adaptable and practicable than the monochromatic branding of the past.
The inclusion of a broad spectrum of colours, that complement one another, while being different and distinct from each other, might symbolise how inclusion of diversity within our profession has the potential to enhance the creative art of engineering for the benefit of the society we serve.
Good logo designs can represent many different qualities and meanings and as Margaret Wolfe Hungerford wrote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
David McQuiggan

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in