Read the topic below and log in to post a reply!

E&T "Paperless"

21 Replies - 2419 Views

E&T "Paperless"

Posted by Ronald McMurtrie on Dec 9, 2017 1:11 pm

Have noted in the November issue of E&T, the December issue was to be paperless, I followed the advice to downlaod the E&T App to my iPad.

The publication date was stated as 6th December. When checking via the App on that date, the latest issue show was the November one, as it was also on 7th December. On 8th December the Paperless and Paperless Lite appeared.

Both were downloaded with the Paperless version the first to be opened. In flicking through as per the onscreen guidance, I have yet, after many attempts, to get right through this version. After about eight or nine pages the App drops out with one having to start from the beginning again. Frustrated, I have given up trying to find out all that is in this issue of E&T.

The Paperless Lite version works perfectly, though as would be expected there are only a few articles, being a condensed version.

I would be interest to know what other Members have experienced, having downloaded the App to be able to read the December issue of E&T.

Ron McMurtrie

Re: E&T "Paperless"

Posted by Ian Evans on Dec 13, 2017 3:51 pm

I don't know about the App, not having a suitable device. For me "paperless" equates to "useless", looking at the website is not the same as flicking through a magazine. Not sure I miss E&T that much though; but I do miss some of the old magazines we used to get.

Posted by Jonathan Rowen on Dec 16, 2017 10:35 am

I have tried magazines in digital form however have always resorted back to printed copies, there is something about flicking through the pages until something catches your eye. Will give the app a try over the weekend.
Jonathan Rowen MIET FSeng

Posted by Ronald McMurtrie on Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Surprise, surprise, a email was received yesterday  annoucing the paperless version of E&T enabling one to access the magazine problem free.
Has the penny droped there is an issue with the E&T app?

Ron McMurtrie

Posted by David Lovelock on Dec 21, 2017 10:34 am

Living in a spot with broadband at little more than dial up speed this idea is a dead loss for me. The concept misses the point of a paper magazine anyway, which is the ability to browse easily and anywhere. One only has to look at newsagents' shelves to realise that despite near universal ownership of some sort of e-reader, the paper magazine remains as popular as ever. So regrettably I have had to abandon any hope of reading this issue.

Posted by Adrian Frank Hirst on Dec 21, 2017 11:45 am

I'm not a huge fan. The App works as I think they intended for me on my iPhone, but it is far from ideal:

It can only be viewed in landscape (despite an actual page been portrait), you cannot zoom (huge issue on a little phone), it scrolls in "segments" (totally outside normal web-reading design standards), and despite this the writing often straddles these segments mid-sentence. Finally the videos and "smart images" cause real issues as there is only a tiny bit of the screen that can be interacted with to move beyond them.

A cute idea, but they are way behind in how it is displayed and distributed compared to other magazines, not remotely suitable for reading on a phone. Also I don't want it to become habitual, I enjoy reading the actual magazine physically.

Posted by Allan Rowan on Apr 3, 2018 1:30 pm

I was thinking about this recently and oddly enough came across your paperless post on the forums.

​I think the IET should give members the option to opt-out having the magazine sent out to them and replaced with an electronic version (if this an option I haven't found it) - after I've read the magazine it usually goes in to recycling and seldom passed on (sometimes it feels wasteful). I wouldn't mind a PDF copy of the magazine sent directly to my email. However I'm not a big fan of downloadable applications as they tend to develop bugs etc. or not work as intended due to compatibility issues with the device.

​Members that don't opt-out should still receive the magazine and keep for future reference.

Posted by Andy Millar on Apr 3, 2018 3:53 pm

Absolutely 100% agree with Allan. Please - largely for environmental reasons - can we have a paper free (and indeed plastic bag free) option.

Personally I would be very happy for the money saved from this to go to IET Connect, but I'm sure many would like a reduction in membership fees.

Who would have thought that the IRSE - where I'm a paper-free member - would be more up-to-date than the IET!!!

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Millar CEng CMgr IET Mentor / IET PRA uk.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

Posted by Andy Millar on Apr 4, 2018 11:16 am

While tidying up my emails I note that the CMI magazine has also gone paperless. So of the three professional institutions I'm a member of the IET is the only one to still be paper only - and compulsary!

Cheers,

Andy

Posted by Ronald McMurtrie on Apr 4, 2018 11:17 am

Andy,

The plastic wrapper can be recycled along with all other similar plastic with the opportunity to do so at  stores such as Tesco, Sainsbury's offering the recycling facility.

Once read copies of E&T could be passed to a local school, library or even naighbours with young family as a way of creating interest in Engineering and Technology.

Having downloaded the E&T app as I have previously indicated found it did not work properly on an iPad. 

Ron McMurtrie

Posted by Adrian Frank Hirst on Apr 4, 2018 11:21 am

I'd agree with Andy and Allan if that's the case: I didn't realise there wasn't an option to not get the paper one! So long as there is a default option for the paper version for those of us who want that (I don't get on with the app, or really digital magazines generally), it seems fair to let people opt-out of that. And a PDF (or other epub format) option as well as the app can't be too hard to implement as a general imporvement.

I'd also agree on the bag: could use a paper container? Or at least make sure the bag is recyclable? (EDIT: after I wrote this saw the reply above saying it is recyclable, that is great to know!)

Posted by Andy Millar on Apr 4, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Ron,

Certainly if that's what members want to do then that's fine - I don't have a problem with keeping a paper option. Just doesn't suit everyone. I'd make a reasonable guess that if the IET did a survey (which would seem a sensible thing to do) asking members if they preferred paper or online then you would see a sharp distinction by age profile.

I do totally agree an app is not the way to go, the IRSE use pdf and the CMI (Management Today) put the content up as web pages.

Thanks,

Andy

Posted by Andy Millar on Apr 4, 2018 11:35 am

Adrian Frank Hirst:
 after I wrote this saw the reply above saying it is recyclable, that is great to know!

It isn't recyclable in Cornwall... sad Anyway, always better to eliminate waste than to manage it!

Posted by Ian Evans on Apr 4, 2018 3:47 pm

Further to my provious post; pdf in place of paper would work for me, I'd be happy with that - just not an app or having to trundle through webpages please.

Posted by Cheong Tsoi on Apr 6, 2018 7:09 am

Should IET send questionnaires to all members for their opinion about to receive E&T Paperless or not?

Posted by John Moore on Apr 6, 2018 2:44 pm

I was flooded out since August last year; paper work was lost so in no mood to renew my subscription for MIET so let it lapse. What surprised me was the E&T magazine stopped immediately, so someone must be keeping a check on members money for the magazine rather than asking why not renewing membership. However am in two minds weather to renew again before a year is up just to keep professionally registered with EC. The magazine is no great loss. £13 pounds is bit steep for one or £95 yearly.  

https://www.theiet.org/resources/magazines/

https://eandt.theiet.org/tablet-editions/

Posted by Paul Brown on May 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Others have noted that they find it useful/more pleasant to read a paper copy of a magazine rather than its online counterpart.  I can certainly go along with that; but also like the idea of having a PDF copy available as a backup should anything happen to the original, as befell Mr Moore earlier in the thread.

As I type this I have the BCS online archive for its own magazine open in another browser tab; this allows me to download any edition of ITNow magazine since 2005 in PDF.  If I were to access the Members Area of the ACCU (Association of C and C++ Users) website I would be able to access its titles in a similar way.

It is therefore more than a bit surprising that the IET doesn't do the same for E&T:  The application is next to useless to me as I don't own a tablet, and the user experience on a smartphone is not pleasing, shall we say.  My tentative view is that this is more about the IET wanting to protect its intellectual property than it is about the convenience of the reader.

Personally I would be quite happy to switch to digital delivery for a commensurate reduction in the subscription.

Paul Brown

Posted by Michael Cotterell on Jun 5, 2018 8:33 pm

Well reading through the past few posts it seems that the IET have again failed to keep up with Technology. The website originally set up a fair while ago takes some time to master.Unfortunately it's a legacy system and it looks as if it's been tweaked by a few. not anyones fault in particular but not a good advert for the IET. "Paperless" is not perhaps a decision which should be taken by the few who use the website but by the whole international membership. Sorry thats my opinion.

Michael
Michael T Cotterell

Posted by Andy Millar on Jun 6, 2018 9:23 am

Michael Cotterell:
"Paperless" is not perhaps a decision which should be taken by the few who use the website but by the whole international membership.

Hi Michael,

I really wouldn't worry about that - in the very very many years I've been active on these forums IET/IEE policy has shown no sign of being influenced by the opinions expressed here (absolutely fair enough as it's a tiny percentage of the membership who are represented here), and - which is rather more annoying - only once have I seen a discussion raised here been taken forward as worthy of further investigation and discussion, and that was mostly due to an "off forum" discussion and activities (the infamous "petitioners" shortly after the IET was founded).

Of course, discussions that take place here may be discussed internally without it being made public, but it would be nice to know that where members raise concerns that they are being listened to. 

We've been raising the option of opting out of receiving E&T for many years now, and the only impact I've seen is that Dickon Ross once had a look at my LinkedIn profile! 

Cheers,

Andy

Posted by Elizabeth Morgan on Jun 6, 2018 9:30 am

Hello,

Just a note to say that we do pass on feedback to the E&T team but if you wish to raise your concerns further, you can do so via their 'contact us' page.

Thanks,
Liz
Elizabeth Morgan, Web Producer - Engineering Communities

Posted by Andy Millar on Jun 6, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the reply - I must admit that I hadn't done that as this seemed more of an IET policy issue than an E&T management issue. But you're quite right, I should try that route.

My wife provides editorial services for charities (including editing magazines and journals) so I know only too well - we share an office at home and I overhear the phone calls and directly hear the frustration afterwards - how politically complex these questions are!!!!

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. to my previous reply to Michael, I just had a quick look through the archives, and this was first raised ten years ago https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/806/9682?post_id=51980#p51980 and then at regular intervals since.

Posted by Andy Millar on Jun 6, 2018 10:22 am

See new thread!!!!!!!!!

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in