Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Equivalent Qualifications

2 Replies - 799 Views

Equivalent Qualifications

Posted by David Rowlands on Sep 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I am now living in the USA and looking at a career change, can anybody provide guidance on the best way qualifications and professional development gained in the UK be transferred over to the USA equivalent?  I understand that there are organisations in the USA that  provide transcripts of UK qualifications for a fee, any guidance on the process and the better ones to use would be appreciated. 

Re: Equivalent Qualifications

Posted by Luciano Bacco on Nov 19, 2019 4:33 pm

This can be of some help, I trust:
https://dave.clements.uk/2013/03/06/my-long-road-to-becoming-a-licensed-professional-engineer/
LUCIANO BACCO

Re: Equivalent Qualifications

Posted by Roy Bowdler on Nov 20, 2019 9:27 am

David,

Moshe Waserman has some experience in this area that he has shared in these forums over the years. You may find some of this in various threads, or contact him via his profile.  Luciano’s link to Dave Clements blog offers a good picture of the issues as I understand them.  However, I also understand that unlike Dave’s employer, many employers have little or no need for state licensed engineers due to employer’s exemption rules. I found this published by NSPE, who I should note have been accused by some of being “elitist and protectionist”  https://fxbinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/state-by-state-summary-licensure-law-exemptions.pdf

You mention a “career change” and without knowing the detail, this suggests that you need some additional knowledge and relevant practical training/experience to develop additional competence. So this is likely to involve a “Community College” (similar to UK Further Education College), University or other learning provider (be wary).  My priority would be to develop a target list of employers, understand their needs and if possible find one who would support my development, in return for a productive contribution.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in