This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

US candidate seeking IEng

Afternoon All,

I have a US born candidate who did an apprenticeship with the US Air Force. They now work and live in the UK in the rail industry. They seek IEng. They don’t have exemplifying qualifications and I also can’t determine what educational level the apprenticeship and their other qualifications are at (Though I will explore this with them in due course). 

Does anyone have any advice or experiences with this type of candidate to aid me as I support them as their PRA? 

Thanks

Dan

• Hi Dan,

My initial thought is that if they have gone through an apprenticeship then the likely level of the qualifications would be similar to HNC in this country. On this basis there will need to be further learning demonstrated to degree level, so I would suggest if the further learning can be demonstrated to that level it probably doesn't matter whether the qualifications are higher or lower than HNC.

Alasdair

• Thanks Alasdair. Makes sense. I would think his apprenticeship, if it’s similar to UK, is level 3 or 4 as you say. So will need to demonstrate further learning.

My next concern is the opportunity for further learning given his roles post technician. These were supervisory technician, but for not even one year, and then he moved into supply and operations type roles after that and has been doing that ever since (A few years). 
    any thoughts on this?

I suppose I just need to have a chat with him and ask him more about what experiences he had as supervisor technician and in the other more managerial roles. 

Cheers

Dan

• Dan,

I think you are right that you just need to chat with him. Every applicant is different and it looks like he is more different than most. I suspect that competences A and B are going to be more of a problem than C/D/E but until you have had a chat it is very unclear. I would suggest that if you have further problems you may get more help on the Registration and Standards community forum, particularly from assessors and interviewers.

Cheers,

Alasdair

• Hi Dan,

Whilst echoing Alasdair's comments, also feel free to drop me a PM if you want, I have a fair bit of experience of helping candidates in the rail sector (including in supply and ops roles).

Thanks, Andy