This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is IPRA differ from FIET and the rest

Hi

I have applied for IPRA and very recently recognized as an IPRA. Currently my name is listed for CEng, IEng and EngTech/ICTTech. I am looking forward to support engineering community on that. Just to my curiosity, there was an another category for FIET as well. However in the site there are no any documentation related to IPRA for supporting FIET. Can anybody enlighten me the qualification to become IPRA for FIET. Further to that, can an IPRA support all these categories (FIET, CEng, IEng and EngTech/ICTTech)?

• Hello @Pushpa Ranathunga I've moved this to our Professional Registration category where our experts there can hopefully answer your question.

• Since no-one else has answered…

Actually the first thought is that it's probably better to ask these questions in the forum in the more “in-house” “IET- Registration and Standards” community, if you go to https://communities.theiet.org/communities you should be able to find it there, and as an IPRA request to join it. There are very experienced volunteers on there who will usually respond quickly to your questions.

But generally, Fellowship Advisor is quite separate from (I)PRA. Which makes sense because registration is to do with EC registration against UKSpec, whereas Fellowship is a membership category within the gift of the IET - they are nearly orthogonal.

Thanks,

Andy

• To paraphrase the above, “since only Andy has answered….”

I would agree generally with what Andy has said but there seems to have been a change in the IET setup so that if a potential Fellow applicant now goes looking for an advisor they just get the list of PRAs. I recently (well, about a year ago) had a contact request from someone wanting to apply for FIET and when I contacted the RSSU about it was told that there were no longer separate Fellow Advisors.

I decided that I had two options:

1. Request that the applicant be dealt with by a separate Advisor who could provide appropriate advice, and

2. Ask the IET for some training so that I could deal with Fellow requests in the future.

Needless to say, I decided to take up both options, and was able to sit in on a Fellow Assessor training session a few months ago which gave me a much greater insight into what needs to be demonstrated for FIET.

I would therefore suggest that if you want to learn more and gain the knowledge to be able to advise Fellow applicants then contact the RSSU and they will arrange something. However there is no control over when and how many FIET applicants are referred to you.

Best wishes,

Alasdair

• Thanks Alasdair, I'm obviously not quite up to date.

That's interesting, given that (as you and I have discussed over a number of pints in the past!) the processes and requirements are rather different.

Cheers, Andy