This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CEng application

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

hello

I intend to become a member of the IET, and subsequentially make my application for CEng through the IET. I have one question in this regard:

My bachelor is accredited by the IET. 

My Masters is accredited by both the IET and BCS. But IET accreditation happened to be outside of my intake year(1 year gap). BCS accreditation falls within my intake year.  So in short, I have an IET accredited bachelors and a BCS accredited Masters.

Can i still become an MIET, and later make my CEng app through the IET?

Thank you

• Hi Ingrid,

There are two routes to CEng, the 'Accredited Route' where your degree is fully accredited to Masters level and the 'Individual Route' where it is not accredited (or you don't have a Masters degree - or possible any degree). In the latter case the individual needs to convince the assessors reviewing the application that learning to a Masters level has been achieved by other means, i.e. the gap between the documented academic learning and an accredited Masters degree has been filled by other means.

A colleague at work has a similar issue in that his MEng is accredited by IET but only for the intake year one year after his. The answer is that the application for CEng will not be considered an 'Accredited Route' application, but the gap to be filled is very small and should be very easy to demonstrate through work based learning, self learning or whatever. Also the fact that your degree is in fact accredited by BCS will probably be enough that this will be considered acceptable for you to be considered as being an 'Accredited Route' application by the IET.

Best wishes for your future success,

Alasdair
  • Issue around academic accreditation come up quite often.

The IET also collaborates with some employers to recognise their training schemes and has contributed to a number of Apprenticeship frameworks. Such frameworks include qualifications between "level 3" (Skilled Craft) and "level 7" (Post-Graduate Engineer). Accreditation of University Engineering Courses is regulated by Engineering Council.   

As I see it these activities are an important part of the landscape, especially to help inform prospective students and/or employers when investing their time and money.  They also help governments in regulation, migration and mutual recognition of standards. See Washington Accord for example.   

As Alasdair has explained, the IET evolved over the last 15+ years, policy and practice which allows those with accredited pathways to benefit, but also to allow other competent professionals to fairly access registration. Some other Professional Engineering Institutions are very pedantic, about prospective members meeting their “academic requirements”, which are often quite narrowly defined. At least one even insists on their own examination, in addition to any degree.     

It doesn’t seem to me that you have a problem Ingrid, if you are demonstrating the UK-SPEC competences.