This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IntPE(UK) Registration

Good day,

Pursuant to the above subject, advice is required whether an international holding CEng registration is eligible for IntPE(UK) registration under the following conditions:
  • University location - Trinidad and Tobago

• Degree award - BTech 

• Course details - 4 years (Part-time) 

• EC accreditation
    • Section - IEng (Full)

• Accredited by - IET

Guidance on the above will be appreciated. 

Yours respectively, 
Ryan Collins 
  • Ryan,

I think the answer to that depends on whether the degree is recognised under the Washington Accord. The current rules for IntPE(UK) state "Chartered Engineers who do not hold an accredited degree recognised under the Washington Accord, or equivalent academic qualification, are currently not eligible to apply for IntPE(UK) registration." This is slightly confused by the fact that the Washington Accord signatories do not include Trinidad and Tobago but does include:
     United Kingdom Engineering Council United Kingdom

I don't know whether this means that EC accredited degrees outside the UK are acceptable, but also it is not clear whether your degree would meet the Washington Accord requirements. The fact that it is only accredited to "IEng (Full)" makes me suspect that it does not meet this, but this might be something you could check up on.

Alasdair
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Ryan,

If you click on the following links, you'll be able to determine if your degree is CEng or IEng accredited, and what conditions you need to meet to qualify for IntPE and IntET respectively through the EC.

https://www.engc.org.uk/education-skills/course-search/recognised-course-search/?page=1&q=Btech+Trinidad+and+tobago&s=current

• Good day all, 

Thanks much for the feedback. I found alignment with my initial thoughts based on your advice. In summary:
    • Despite degree being EC accredited, because it was completed in a country that's not a signatory to the Washington Accord, no international status can be given.

• The degree is EC accredited under the section IEng(Full). Thus, meets degree equivalency for IntET(UK) only.

• EC accreditation of the degree has no further notes purporting further learning required for CEng. Hence, it may be deduced that its a terminal degree for IEng.

I hope my summary is correct. 

Ryan Collins