This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CEng PRI & Presentation

Dear All,

I have submitted my application for CEng status. 

According to my PRA, that "there will be an assessment of your qualifications career history and competence evidence, if they are satisfied they will invite you for interview. It would be a good idea to start preparing material for your presentation."

I didn’t know that will have an assessment a well.

I thought that will have only the presentation.

I would like to ask you, who can guide and advise me to prepare for the assessment and with the presentation?

I would like to have some examples so I can get an idea.

Kind Regards, 

Georgios Giannakopoulos
  • Georgios,

Yes there is an assessment, but the good news is that it is an assessment of what you have written in your application so there is nothing you need to do (apart from wait). All you need to worry about is the presentation. The first advice on that is to read the guidance available on the IET website regarding the presentation. Pick one (or at most two) projects to talk about which you think give an opportunity to demonstrate your use of the competences in UK Spec, and prepare a few slides. It is also important to practice the presentation with somebody listening to get a feel for the timing.

Examples are not necessarily helpful as presentations from electronics projects don't help power engineers and vice versa. It is much more helpful to discuss your plans with your PRA.

Alasdair
  • Bro, I got chartered status last year Dec, let me share with you what I went thr last year.

I submitted my application through the career manager in mid of March. I was asked to submitted additional information including evidence in May. However, I was busy with my project(HK Subsidized Housing), XD I ignored the request and delayed the submission in July.

It s a difficult situation as per the pandemic, I had no idea when my interview was, I started preparing powerpoint in August mainly focus on competence A & B. My PRA advised me not to over 6 slides of powerpoint. I described what I did and the background with project nature in my case examples which mentioned A & B during PRI. 3 days later, I was informed by mail to pay for my registration.

In PRI, the interviewer's questions involved in the project administration, management of people and subordinates, further learning and study. I shared my experience with my poor English XP.

you should go through this video XD, GOOD LUCK and Happy CNY XD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gl4eXu4fAQ
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Guys

The advice I usually give on the presentation goes something like this: -

Keep to the six-slide limit, don't waste slides with a front page that says nothing but just introduces yourself and the subject, keep text down to a minimum, plenty of good quality pictures (maybe a picture of a construction drawing) on which you give the explanations, keep to one main subject and finally don't waste a slide with just "Any Questions?" on it - I can guarantee the panel will have questions.

If you are comfortable with it and are asked, allow them to raise questions during presentation, try not to go off at a tangent and try to make it a discussion - it is not intended to be an interrogation and nobody is going to offer you a job at the end of it. Keep it technical - Competences A&B is what you are presenting If you can bring items on C & E so be it.

Pick a subject you know inside out and back to front and get a colleague to quiz you on it and make any adjustments you think necessary. The time limit issue should be kept in mind but if you're taking question during the presentation your timings may go out of the window so don't worry about it.

Good luck - Stay safe - Regards Jim W