This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

PMET memebership category

Hi

One of my friend applied for MIET category, but ended up with PMET category. I searched through the IET documents but there are no such categories mentioned. Can anybody expalin what has happened here.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi

Someone is getting their terms mixed up applying to join the IET allows you to use the post-nominals "MIET" - Member of the IET. Through the IET you can apply to be Registered with the Engineering Council at one of the four categories - CEng, IEng etc. PMET is not one of the IET's membership categories I believe and, as usual, it has a number of different meanings when you Google it. I think your friend has got confused.

Regards Jim W
  • I can't comment on individual cases here, so would recommend that  the member contacts the membership department directly to discuss this.  Are they seeing this membership category in their Career Manager application?
  • I recently applied for MIET and while my membership was in progress, I was in the PMET category.

Once the application was completed and MIET was granted, it changed to MIET.
  • How much time did it take for the application to be processed from PMET to MIET ?
  • Not too long for mine once they received all of the relevant information. I think it was around a week.
  • They just asked to submit qualification certificates (electronic copies accepted). Nothing specific mentioned. What documents specifically did you submit ?
  • I submitted my CV and they requested further information from my supporter. Once they received this then they were able to progress my application.
    I would hazard a guess that PMET probably stands for - Provisional Member of IET; in which case it should say PMIET. 

Now either the I in MIET has been erroneously omitted, or purposely removed to prevent applicants from displaying PMIET after their names, as it's not a real title.

It's as good a guess as any.

Hi. Did you find what is meaning of PMET?

• Dear Roshika,

As others have identified, it means Potential or Provisional Member of the IET and is used whilst a member is going through the assessment process for MIET status.  Once this is awarded it will show as MIET. 

It doesn't affect anything, and you still have access to all the IET products and services that are part of your membership, including Career Manager.

Thanks,