This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Additional Evidence of Underpinning Knowledge & Understanding

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I have received the following questions to provide the additional evidence of underpinning knowledge & understanding.
1. Describe the situation in which you were allocated responsibility for technical/ engineering decisions

2. Describe how you presented technical information e.g. plans and diagrams for review by other engineers in your field

3. Explain how you carried out a technical investigation, including the gathering of data, identification of sources; and  explain the results of the investigation and how you ensured the quality of data that was used

4. Describe how you derived and presented the results of your investigations: for instance, describe how you used calculations, simulations, prototypes and/or engineering software to guide your technical/ engineering decisions. Explain the limitations of the techniques you used

5. Give a brief reasoned justification for your technical/ engineering decisions

6. Summarise the outcome of the project(s) and indicate how technological changes would affect your methods and/or decisions

Now my confusion is...

a.  I am working as Central Workshop Manager in a construction company, I'm in a dilemma to prepare the evidence as it is not clear to me whether asking about a particular incident related to a equipment in a construction project or the engineering involved during planning, execution, estimation, installation, maintenance and management of total equipment in a construction project. 

b. Question number 3 to 6 is very close to a incident/accident investigation for a particular equipment

If I provide the evidence in (b) way, it will be very specific but a very little scope of engineering. Whether in (a) way I can provide an comprehensive engineering evidence since equipment planning, selection, installation, maintenance and management in a construction project.

Please advise. 

• The first bit of advice is probably get in touch with a PRA to discuss your application and the advice being sought. The questions are very general since the assessors will have stated that additional evidence is needed for specific sub-competences and the above questions are standard questions inserted for those sub-competences. They have no knowledge of what your best example is going to be and hence the open questions. You need to think about what they are wanting and whether your examples provide the evidence - which is why I suggest you should talk to a PRA who will be able to look at potential examples and help you decide which one to use.

I think from your description (a) could be better than (b) if the latter has little engineering, but then why not consider both? The request is for additional evidence, not for a single additional example.

Alasdair
  • ? - Totally agree with Alasdair - a PRA is a great resource for your extra evidence - you can find one at: www.theiet.org/advice if you don't already have one assigned or that you are working with.  If you haven't already used a PRA, it's worth sending them a copy of the application as well so they can see what the assessors have already seen, so they can help you expand and provide new evidence, or expand on what is already in the application.  

There is also some guidance on work based learning, that shows what assessors are looking for in terms of underpinning knowledge and understanding that might help you to focus the answers. https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/work-based-learning/
  • Tushar ,

The question has been asked to allow you the opportunity to illustrate your engineering knowledge and understanding. It isn’t normally asked of someone with good academic evidence.
    However, sometimes engineers might gain a deeply technical/scientific/mathematical degree only to make little use of that knowledge in their work for years, so assessors might suspect that key elements have been forgotten? They will usually give the benefit of the doubt if you hold a fully accredited degree.

In the eyes of some IET assessors, the type of work that you are describing might be better aligned with the IEng standard. Did you discuss this with an advisor? The assessors might consider that you are organising fairly standardised and well-understood equipment to support mostly routine construction activities. This type of activity can potentially be carried out without the deeper level of technical thinking that they expect of a Chartered Engineer.

You need to identify a set of circumstances that best illustrate how you deployed engineering expertise. The six questions are very loosely based on the attributes one might expect to see in an MEng graduate.

Do a bit of internet research comparing “scientific method” with the “engineering design process”. Many engineers are quite “operational” rather than “design”, but they often use good rigorous methods to achieve optimal results, not just create an engineered artefact or system.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Appreciate your reply
    Mr. Roy,

Appreciate your reply.

It's a fact that I still could not be able to get in touch with any PRA. I'm looking someone who has similar background of handling wide range of construction equipment like me. Out of my 16 years service life, last 12  years I'm managing (planning, operation, maintenance, installation and critical trouble shooting) 3500+ fleet of construction equipment out of which 30 types of construction equipment, 50+ brand, 300+ model in a 9 million sq-ft workshop which consists of 25000+ man power. You know equipment is the backbone of construction project. I'm involved now in 4 mega projects of a total value of 2 Billion USD.

So, in every projects there is my large contribution in strategic planning, selection of equipment with proper specification, market research and preparing technical report before purchasing of any equipment, establishing preventive & corrective maintenance methodology and implementation, preparing technical submission, drawing for installation of cranes etc etc. Modifying and upgrading equipment consulting with manufacturer as per project's need.

So, all are not the routine job. Definitely I'm not involved in design and not like the research scholars but practicing engineering as per BS-7121, ASME B30.3, LOLER, PUWER, ISO 9001, 14001,45001  standards and codes.

So somewhere I could not be able to relate the questions and up to what extend it would be sufficient reply/answer is not clear to me.

I would prefer to get in direct conversation with some expert from my own field.

Thank you for your advise.

Kathryn madam,

Appreciate your reply and advise. It is very useful for me.

May I request you to give me another guidance about following.

Now my C Eng registration is under review in second stage by professional reviewer. Before they asked open question and this time they asked this one. under this circumstances I feel my "Development Action Plan" and "verified assessment summary" need to be revised slightly. Can I do it at this stage? before I submit the additional evidence for underpinning knowledge and understanding.

Please advise madam.

Best regards

T K Mondal
  • Hi,

As the applications is now submitted, you should focus on the requested information but if you wish to submit an updated development action plan I would speak to the registration team as they may be able to facilitate this, they may be able to accept this via email.

REgards,

Kathryn
    Dear madam,

unfortunately I could not able to get any response from two PRA I contacted through IET link. It might be reason that they are not from same field. 

I am in equipment management field in construction industry and my role is very specific in planning, selection, installation, commissioning, preventive maintenance, trouble shooting  and repair. The major part of engineering involved in a wide range of cranes. 

Here question number 1 and 2 is very clear to me.

But how can I relate 3 to 6 is really confusing. All 6 questions are linked up or not I could not be able to understand.

How can I get the guidance please advise.

regards

T K Mondal

• T K,

You say you have not had any response but you haven't said how long you have waited. The PRAs are all volunteers so should not be expected to respond instantly, but will normally respond within a week or so. I should also point out that the website tells you to only contact one PRA though I am sure you will not be penalised for contacting two.

On the IET website (https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/find-a-professional-registration-advisor/) it states "We ask that you only contact ONE PRA. All our PRAs are volunteers if you have not had a response from the PRA within two weeks contact the registration and standards support unit (RSSU) for help". I would therefore suggest that if two weeks are up and you still haven't heard anything you should contact the RSSU as indicated and they will ensure you get a PRA who will respond. The RSSU staff, being IET employees, will take action straight away. Do not keep trying further PRAs as this only causes confusion later on. The email for the RSSU (from the IET website) is rssu@theiet.org (or call on +44 (0)1438 765615).

I note from your profile that you are based in Qatar so you should deal with an International PRA (IPRA).

Regards,

Alasdair
    Thank you for your response sir