Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Applyig for CEng through BCS (UK)
Kasun 11001215596
3 Posts
Question
Is it possible to applying for CEng through BCS ? what is the deference between applying directly and applying through BCS?

Detail:   https://www.bcs.org/get-qualified/become-chartered/chartered-engineer-ceng/
7 Replies
Kasun 11001215596
3 Posts
Any Idea .......?🙄
Kathryn Bain 97869023
360 Posts
HI Kasun,

I'm not sure what you mean by applying directly?  BCS, like the IET, are one of the bodies licensed by the engineering council but will have their own assessment processes.

I can certainly help with the IET process, as can the other members and volunteers here but less likely to be able to advise on other institutions.

Kathryn
Kasun:
Any Idea .......?🙄

If you tell us a little about yourself (general area of Engineering that you work in), and why you might be considering one or other institution more appropriate, then we can give some pointers as to the strengths and weaknesses of each route, or alternate routes.

Simon Barker 22060613
645 Posts
You cannot apply directly to the Engineering Council for CEng.  You have to go through one of the engineering institutions.  The IET is one of those institutions, and the BCS is another.
You can choose which institution you want to apply through.  Each will have their own process, but they all assess against the same UKSpec standard.
Kasun 11001215596
3 Posts
Philip Oakley:
Kasun:
Any Idea .......?🙄

If you tell us a little about yourself (general area of Engineering that you work in), and why you might be considering one or other institution more appropriate, then we can give some pointers as to the strengths and weaknesses of each route, or alternate routes.

Thanks for the kind support.
My area is Networking and now i'm working as a, Senior Consultant for a Leading network solution provider in Sri Lanka.

Why I selected BCS is: I’m already a professional member of BCS.

Academically I hold: BCS – professional diploma in IT and a MSc in IT management.
Other than those I possess number of my job related professional certifications such as : CCNP,MCSE, PMP (PMI), ITIL, SFIA, LINUX,….

Scope of job (Team lead) : Analyzing, designing, implementing, and supporting enterprise network solutions that satisfy modern business requirements.

During my professional career I passed : Systems Engineer, Network Engineer, senior Network engineer,  Consultant-Network solution and senior Consultant-Network solution.

Kasun

Simon Barker 22060613
645 Posts
In that case the answer should be obvious - if you're already a member, then apply through the BCS.  There is no "applying directly".
Moshe W 1100289692
504 Posts
Kasun,

I had my IEng and CEng registration via BCS. The process is rigorous and follows the UK SPEC. 
I was treated professionally with great member support. I also felt at the time that BCS The Chartered Institute for IT was the right institute for my field of employment.
You will need to get familiarized with the UK SPEC and be able to provide/map your education, experience, training, skills etc to the UK SPEC.
Get to work with Registration Advisor who will guide you through the process.
The only difference I observed between IET at the time that I noticed BCS had a little bit faster processing time and getting results from the PRI interviews.
IET registers much higher numbers of Engineers in comparison to some other Licensed Engineering Institutes so it may take a little longer for the process.

If you register via IET for example you may benefit from reciprocal agreements that IET has with other Engineering Organizations that register 
Engineers in their countries such as Australia.
And as mentioned in the earlier replies there is no direct registration with EC, you will have to be a member of a EC UK licensed Engineering Institution. 

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in