Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
IEng Registration - Professional Registration Assessment and Career Profile
P Trim 11001210654
Joined 03/04/2019 - 2 Posts
Question
Hi all. I am part way through my application for IEng registration. In Sept 2019 I attended a professional registration workshop and had a chat with a PRA to discuss my application. He was highly informative and gave me a great insight into my application and the professional registration process. He suggested that I should consider CEng and explained his reasoning, but I am a little apprehensive. Currently I am still working toward IEng application.

My question is relating to the Professional Registration Assessment and also the Career Profile. I had produced a 2400-word career profile prior to meeting the PRA along with all my other supporting documentation. He advised that I should transfer that into my career manager portal but I am finding that I will be duplicating a large portion of my content within my career profile alongside the evidence that is required within the PR Assessment lists against UK-Spec. 

Can anyone advise does this sound correct and am I understanding the requirements for the career profile correctly?

Thank you. Paul.

5 Replies
Alasdair Anderson 11001195585
Joined 02/02/2017 - 951 Posts
P Trim:
II am just wondering what the consensus is and whether this is a tool everyone is using or whether this is just something I should use for my own personal use to track my competence.

Paul,
I don't think everyone is using it (in fact I am pretty sure not everyone is using it, as I have pointed some candidates towards it myself as they were not aware of it) but I also feel that while it is useful for using to track your own competence, it is also good to get someone else (e.g. a mentor or PRA) to review what you have put as that will correct the two most common errors I see. First any misunderstanding of what the competence really means (and I have seen that reflected in the framework) but also the common fault of undervaluing self. I have had to tell candidates in the past that they have marked themselves to low on the table and that they are actually a level above where they think they are.

It is a useful document to submit with your application, not because it provides additional information about meeting the competences for the Assessors but because it shows that you are looking at your development and are being self critical. In this respect it makes a good adjunct to the Development Action Plan if the DAP shows planning to develop the areas where you may be slightly weaker according to the Framework.

Alasdair

James Walker 62455
Joined 14/01/2008 - 21 Posts
Hi Paul

Without going into deep detail I think your last para sums it up - your making it over complicated for yourself. 

There is no need, unless you want to, to identify the competence you believe you are describing at each point; the Assessors know what they are looking for and generally we do get there. For your own sake don't try to do everything in multiple formats. The competence descriptions are set out with explanatory notes so providing you have covered this in your submission you should be okay. Good Luck

Regards Jim W
P Trim 11001210654
Joined 03/04/2019 - 2 Posts
Thank you, James and Alasdair, for your feedback I really appreciate it. 

I initially found the Career Manager windows less user friendly when writing my 'responsibilities and achievements' and so I have chosen to use Word as the platform to write my career profile. My plan is to transfer this information into Career Manager once I feel happy with it, which I don’t think will be a problem.

What I am finding confusing is within the Professional Development menu, there is an IEng UK-Spec framework which requires me to add my evidence against the individual UK-Spec skillsets. This is the section which I feel I am duplicating against what is already in my career profile/Job description/responsibilities & achievements?

There is a text which states although this document (UK-Spec Framework) is not part of the final/submitted IEng application, it can be exported and attached as a supporting document? I actually like the framework as it is easier to track my progress against the individual UK-Spec skills but I feel like large proportions of this information is contained within my Responsibilities and Achievements section. 

II am just wondering what the consensus is and whether this is a tool everyone is using or whether this is just something I should use for my own personal use to track my competence.

Sorry if I have over complicated the process, any help is gratefully received.

Paul

Alasdair Anderson 11001195585
Joined 02/02/2017 - 951 Posts
Paul,
Good advice from Jim, but he doesn't seem to have mentioned the career profile.
Not having sight of your career profile, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. If this is what you have produced as your evidence of meeting the UK Spec competences, then I think it needs to be transferred into an application, whether a paper application form (Word document) or an electronic form via Career Manager. These are the only two formats that will be accepted by the IET (for sensible reasons as consistency makes it easier for those assessing the applications, who are all volunteers). There are advantages to using Career Manager but many feel uncomfortable with the purely on-line systems so while I would recommend it, it is your decision which way to go.
If your question is related to the entries in Career Manager under "Responsibilities" and "Achievements" (and I may not have those headings exactly right as it is from memory) then don't feel too worried about it as you don't need to duplicate what you say. As long as it is included in one or the other it will be taken account of in the assessment.
Two other pieces of advice - make use of this forum, as many of the contributors are involved in the process and will help you out when you don't understand something, and go to the IET website to get help from a PRA to be on hand to guide you through the process rather than just having a one-off meeting at a Registration workshop.
Alasdair
James Walker 62455
Joined 14/01/2008 - 21 Posts
Hi Paul

I'll set out what I usually tell applicants who have asked me to be their PRA. The application is NOT a CV - you need to be describing your competences as set out in the UK Spec, If you haven't done so already check out the matrix at the back of the document - it sets out what is needed for each of the 17 competences.

Each paragraph should start with - "I" and doing something is better than just being responsible for it (we've all worked for those who are responsible for it!).The only exception is part of the "C" competences where responsibility is part of the criteria. Make sure you understand and describe your company's and the IET's ethics policy. Describe how you record your CPD and put together your Development Action Plan (DAP) for short, medium and long term goals. You will need an organisation diagram and show and briefly describe everybody who reports to you (staff, contractors etc) and show a couple of ranks above you and not a lot more. The whole lot is not supposed to exceed 12 pages so be precise.

The Pre Interview assessment panel will consist of two Assessors and a Moderator/Registrar and if they have any doubts they will ask for more information or may ask a "Targeted Question" to get the information they're looking for. Once successful the Interview will be carried out by two interviewers who will prepare a report immediately after the interview then another Panel of the same make up will go through everything and decide whether to ratify the interviewer's conclusion. A total of eight volunteers, with your PRA that makes nine to provide the Peer's review of your application.

Your presentation for the interview limited to six pages or slides should be on a subject you know inside out and back to front and be willing to be quizzed on it - I suggest you get a colleague who understands the subject to quiz you on it - that might show further tweaking.

As for the IEng - CEng issue again look at the UK Spec matrix and decide whether you can satisfy which ever category you go for. There is supposed to be an argument that IEng isn't inferior to CEng - we're just different! But it is also used used as stepping stone - the argument goes on.

Anyway, I trust this is a little useful and good luck.

Regards Jim W

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in