This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CEng templates and examples

Dear All,

I have started to collect all the necessary information which is required my the IET in order to apply for the CEng.

However, I'm searching for templates and examples on what/how etc, in order to start completing the boxes from the ukspec ceng competence and commitment standards documentation.

I need some guidance and material because it is complicated for me.

Thank you

• Georgios,

There are no templates as such, just either a blank application form or Career Manager to start to input your text.

I would suggest starting to fill in some text to see how it goes, and then get in touch with a Professional Registration Adviser (PRA) - or in your case, perhaps an IPRA (International PRA) to discuss what you have done and make sure you are doing ok.

Alasdair
  • Hello

The IET's Career manager will be able to help you - https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-development/career-manager/.

You can log everything, upload documents and you can use it to apply for professional registration.

regards

Julie
  • Hi Georgios,

Career Manager is a great place to start, and a self assessment will help you to understand where you have the competence and where you still need to develop.  There is levelled guidance within Career Manager that helps you to understand where you are and where you still need to develop.  As Julie mentioned, you can find Career Manager online at: www.theiet.org/career-manager and there is a video tutorial on how the self-assessment tool works at: https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=11567

We also have regular weekly webinars available for members and prospective members to explain the process for competence assessment, development and applying for professional registration.  These are scheduled on a weekly basis and accessible via: https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/professional-registration-webinars/.   Initial Professional Development webinars run every Friday at 1pm.  There are also a number of member services we review on these webinars including the IPD Service and mentoring which may be useful - you can also contact me at: profdev@theiet.org and I can give you some pointers so that when you are ready to apply, you can contact a professional registration advisor as Alasdair mentioned and get specific support.

Kind Regards,

Kathryn Bain

• Georgios 

Previous responses have included guidance on where to find advice and the support that is available.

Some specific suggestions (based on PRA and assessor experience):

Make sure you are fully familiar with UK-SPEC. Read the competency area requirements and examples. 

Write a draft of your career history. You might use a CV to provide the basis but you need to reflect on your roles and responsibilities and consider how you can present the information as evidence of your personal UK-SPEC competency practice. The IPD Summary Form will also help guide you.  Key points to remember - your application needs to demonstrate your personal understanding and engagement.  There’s extensive support available.  PRA advice can be invaluable if you are uncertain and the Professional Registration staff at the IET have extensive experience and understanding to guide you. Good luck.
  • Hello Giorgo

I am a trained professional registration adviser for the IET and will be pleased to help you. If you like you can email me on 
    john.williamson@ietvolunteer.org and then we can have a phone conversationj to find out how best to guide you

John
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

I was filling my CPDs but I can't seem to be able to fill in publication, and extra-academic training. Any help? 

• Ndolo, These would best be placed in either the Professional Papers or Supporting Documents section of a draft application in career manager

I've attached a couple of screen shots. Hope this helps, John
  • Ndolo: 
    …and extra-academic training.

And this goes into the “Training” section, just click on the + button on the training section and you should be able to add it in?

b4d304f519d7e7789e3a5bb6061840d7-original-image.png

Thanks,

Andy

• Many folks struggle to collate into a coherent and interesting narrative the work they've done in the past for their PR registration application.  Myself included.  So what I did was to make sure that when something popped into my head about something that I did and that could be useful to my application, I made a note of it on my phone and then when back at my desk I added it to the living document that I kept of “stuff I've done”.  This formed the basis of my application.  Something interesting you did with Project X, four years ago that pops into your thoughts?   Write it down!!!!!  You WILL forget if you don't.

Do not beat yourself up about doing this or the time that it takes.  I know many, many people who would have been great CEng's who just abandon their application because they fail to take this step and get their thoughts together in written format.  You are applying for a major qualification/registration here, recognised industry and world-wide,  and it is not something you are going to complete on a single rainy Sunday afternoon.  It took me six months to formulate my application from my notes, steadily but surely, over dozens, probably hundreds of drafts.  It is NOT hard but it takes time.

Good luck Georgios with your application.

• Sound advice. If the application is relevant, engaging, easy to understand and includes objective supporting information it assists the assessors reach an objective outcome - the format is of secondary importance. Good luck