This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Bullet Points vs Prose in CEng Applications

When writing about employment responsibilities, personal achievements, and evidence of competencies in the Assessment Summary, are bullet points or prose preferred?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi - Having a reviewed quite a few applications in the the last few years I would suggest that bullet points tend to look like a job description and not what the candidate intended. When making initial contact as a PRA I usually suggest that every paragraph should start with "I" and the prose should give as much detail as to what the candidate actually does. Being responsible for something is not the same as doing it (except for some of the C competences) - we've all worked for people who are responsible for it(?). 

It is a good idea to identify which competences you believe you've covered in any given section but there is no need to leave that in for the final submission - the Assessors know what their looking for.

When you get to your interview pick a subject that you know inside out and back to front and be prepared to be quized on it - sometimes the 10 minute presentation takes up the entire interview and that can be good. Try it out on a willing volunteer who knows what the subject is - no holds barred - it can be a good rehearsal and may mean some editing would be useful.

Don't forget a PRA can be worth their weight in gold, most of us volunteer to do assessments and interviews so we know what works. 

Any way good luck - Regards Jim W
  • Thank you for such a thorough and knowledgeable answer James