Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
How to start?
Question
Dear members, 
Could you please explain way forward to become IEng. 
Thanks & Regards.
10 Replies
Simon Barker
806 Posts
That rather depends on where you are starting from.  See https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/
Once you have looked through the registration requirements, it might be time to contact a PRA (or in your case it may be in IPRA - International PRA) to discuss your career so far and whether you can demonstrate that you meet the competences in UK-SPEC.
Alasdair

Thanks for early and detailed response,
I am from Pakistan, I joined local network but still waiting response from local person. But in the meantime I want to be assessed by some professional who can help me to guide time line and expenses. 
​​​

Kathryn Bain
385 Posts
Hi Babar,

I would second the recommendation to start with an IPRA. 

I would also suggest making the most of your Career Manager account if you're already a member.  If you are uncertain then one way to gain a better understanding is using the self-assessment tool in Career Manager.  This will allow you to assess yourself against the required competences for UK-SPEC and allow you to identify where you already have the skill and where you still need to develop.  You can find Career Manager online at: www.theiet.org/career-manager and there is a video tutorial on how the self-assessment tool works at: https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=11567  This is a great way to break down the UK-SPEC competences and start to understand the requirements for IEng.

If you want some infornal support, you can also submit an Intent to Register which will let the IET know that you are interested in registration and we can keep you informed and act as a staff level support to help you.

Regards,

Kathryn

The people who can provide assistance are all volunteers, not professionals in that sense, though of course they are all professional engineers. if the local person you are waiting for a response from has been contacted via the IET website then, allowing for the fact that they are a volunteer and should not be expected to respond immediately, I would suggest if there has been no contact within a couple of weeks then you should email to the IET on the email contact address on the registration website. Timeline and expenses is not something that I can help with as they are going to be significantly influenced by locality.
Alasdair

Thanks for detailed answer, Now I understand how to be self assessed,and later will submit application. 

Hi!
I am applying for MIET membership but it's asking me to enter the details of my supporter. The problem is that I don't know or have anyone to support this application. Can someone support me for my application or guide me with this problem. Another thing is that I am also registered with Engineers Australia as a Professional Electronics Engineer, so I want to ask that can this accreditation from Engineers Australia help me to get IET membership?
Here are my credentials:
Degree: 4 years BE Electrical Engineering ( Hamdard University Pakistan)
Experience: 3.5 years of experience in Solar/Electrical Power Systems (Pakistan)
Hi Noman Farooq

Your University Professor or your present or past Office Manager (to whom you are reporting) may become your supporter for the Application for MIET.  Moreover, If you are residing at Karachi, there is "IET Karachi Local Network" and "IET OnCampus NEDUET Karachi Networks" are working, you can contact them as well.  On the other side, "IET Islamabad Local Networks" and "IET Lahore Local Network" are also running.  You can also search them here IET online Community Platform.

Thank you. 
Kathryn Bain:
I would also suggest making the most of your Career Manager account if you're already a member.  If you are uncertain then one way to gain a better understanding is using the self-assessment tool in Career Manager.  This will allow you to assess yourself against the required competences for UK-SPEC and allow you to identify where you already have the skill and where you still need to develop.  You can find Career Manager online at: www.theiet.org/career-manager and there is a video tutorial on how the self-assessment tool works at: https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=11567  This is a great way to break down the UK-SPEC competences and start to understand the requirements for IEng.

The link https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=11567  now shows "Video not found!!"
Is there an alternate?

Kathryn Bain
385 Posts
Hi Nicholas Prowse‍ 

The video link was to the previous version of Career Manager guidance, we launched a much more user friendly version in October sp the best way to find out more is to log in and select Begin Your Professional Registration Journey - We do run webinar sessions on a weekly basis - you can find these here: https://www.theiet.org/career/professional-registration/getting-help-with-your-application/professional-registration-webinars/

Kind REgards,

Kathryn Bain

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in