This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Employment History Technical detail for IPD

Hello All

I am currently filling out the IPD section for my CEng and I am trying to determine how much detail is required for the employment history of each employer

For the IPD, do I put in a brief description of my roles and responsibilities for each employer and save the more detailed description for the main application?

For example would it be sufficient to write "I carried out design work involving FPGAs"  for a particular employer or do I need to write a lot more such as:
  • What the FPGAs was used for

• How I implemented them

• Why I implemented them in that way

I understand that the IPD will be assessed by IET assessors that might not have the technical knowledge to understand the intricacies of FPGA implementation, but the main application will be looked at by someone with more technical knowledge.

Therefore would it be best to save the technical description for main application? 

Many thanks
  • The descriptions in your application will be carried through from your IPD, so rather than completing it twice it may be easier to complete the more detail first on previous employments.  We may not understand the more technical detail, but the IPD team will use the information to provide support.  Of course if you wish to submit your Intent to Register "as is" we will still process it, so it really is up to you.

• For example would it be sufficient to write "I carried out design work involving FPGAs"  for a particular employer or do I need to write a lot more such as:

• What the FPGAs was used for

• How I implemented them

• Why I implemented them in that way

I understand that the IPD will be assessed by IET assessors that might not have the technical knowledge to understand the intricacies of FPGA implementation, but the main application will be looked at by someone with more technical knowledge.

Couple of points:

- what FPGA used for ... really just context unless in the example there was some special magic

- How you implemented - much more interesting especially if you can demonstrate judgement

- Why you implemented a particular way - by far the most interesting thing.

In the end, at assessment and PRI we want to know the following:

- Context ... a couple of lines to give us a basic mental picture

- what the problem was

- what YOU SPECIFICALLY did

- what challenges you had, the judgement shown, the leadership you gave

- what you learned

As for the IPD, I personally do not look at them. There are others who feel they should but part of the DNA of a CEng is the ability to succinctly write and present a report. I personally expect that to be your application. The max size is 12 pages and after 3 are basic info, if you cannot get in 8 or 9 pages how you developed, how you demonstrated jugdment, how you provided leadership, how you demonstrate a commitment to professionalism, then frankly another few pages of IPD will not add anything in my opinion other that to demonstrate you cannot write a report.

IPD is there to help you understand the competencies and start to contextualise specific examples. I much prefer to think of the application as an Extended CV. Where a CV is brief, bulleted and dry, you application fills in the blanks between the points with an actual example.... for 95% of applications, that is all you really need.

Others though have different views, but ask yourself, If you cannot clearly create a plain English narrative of your journey and successes, then do you fulfil the CEng section D requirements ?

• Thank you all for your guidance

I submitted my IPD, the IPD has actually give me a starting point to begin my main application as I was initially unsure of were to even begin

So know I can start expanding on the point within my IPD and this will form the structure of my main application