Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in

Professional Registration as IEng for Canadian Citizens Wishing to Work in UK?

11 Replies

• New Question

Professional Registration as IEng for Canadian Citizens Wishing to Work in UK?

Posted by Leslie T on Jan 6, 2020 5:53 pm

Hello all,

I am reaching out to ask how professional registration in the UK would work for myself as I am interested in moving to the UK after convocation from my program.

Information that may be relevant in this situation is that I am currently studying chemical engineering with concentrations in petroleum and mineral processing at an accredited University in Canada. I am in my 3rd year of study and will be going on a professional engineering internship in May 2020 for 16-months with a company in the oil & gas sector. After this internship I will then return to university and finish my Bachelor of Science in Engineering.

From some of the research I have done online, because my university is accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), which follows the Washington Accord, I should meet the requirements there.

I understand that there is no specified amount of work experience that is required, but rather just enough that you are competent in your profession in your field. So will my experience within Canada be valid? Again for experience, would it be possible for me to move to the UK and continue to work a gain more experience so that I may one day get professional registration as an IEng?

Is there anything additional I should be aware of?

Any guidance about how to go about this would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Leslie

Re: Professional Registration as IEng for Canadian Citizens Wishing to Work in UK?

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Jan 7, 2020 10:01 am

How your degree is viewed by the Engineering Council here in the UK is difficult to judge as their "Accredited Degree" search (ACAD) does not list any courses in Canada (or indeed anywhere in the Americas), but this may just be since the accreditation is already taken care of by CEAB. I would expect the degree to be acknowledged by the IET (or any other UK institute) and as far as experience in Canada is concerned, engineering experience gained is valid no matter where it was gained. What you need to look at is how it relates to the UK-SPEC competences so you can show how it let you develop as an engineer. It is certainly possible to move to the UK and gain more experience, though it may even be possible to gain registration prior to moving to the UK. The IET has registered engineers all over the world so geography is no barrier.
Alasdair

Re: Professional Registration as IEng for Canadian Citizens Wishing to Work in UK?

Posted by Alasdair Anderson on Jan 7, 2020 10:05 am

I should have added that the IET has Professional Registration Advisors (PRAs) who are trained to help applicants and some are specially trained as International PRAs (IPRAs). Help can be requested on the IET website at https://www2.theiet.org/membership/profreg/find-advisor/searchadvisor.cfm
Alasdair

Posted by MW _CEng on Jan 7, 2020 1:32 pm

Leslie in previous comments, you have been provided with good advice about the registration.  Get familiarised with the UK SPEC for IEng and contact PRA.
Here is some additional info that may be useful, I'm far from being an expert on the subject but you may find the info helpful.
Unlike in Canada as far as I know in the UK while registration is a big plus it's not required. Registration as IEng may add credibility and in some cases, it can be listed as one of the requirements for the job.
You can work in the UK either as a Canadian or N. American if you have received a job offer with sponsorship from a UK employer.  

This will depend on the individual employer, the type of role, and your relevant skills and experience. Whilst some organizations have a license to sponsor
temporary and/or permanent employees to allow them to work at their business, not all of them will be able to this.

Some additional info:

If you are between the ages of 18-30 you can work in the UK for up to 2 years with a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa without sponsorship if you:

• Have £1,890 in savings - check the current requirements as the amount may have changed.
  • Have certain types of British Nationality or are from certain countries (Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, or Taiwan)
  • Meet the other eligibility requirements: you cannot apply if you have:
    • children who live with you
    • children, you’re financially responsible for
    • already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category

Moshe Waserman BEET, MCGI, CEng MBCS, FEDIPAdvPra, MIET.

Posted by Cheong Tsoi on Jan 8, 2020 7:24 am

Leslie,

Have you checked the Washington Accord? Bachelor's degree in Canada may well serve the requirements for UK's CEng instead of IEng. A Master's degree is only required in the UK for CEng! Many countries around the world only requires a Bachelor's degree according to Washington Accord, to apply for CEng in the UK.

Posted by MW _CEng on Jan 8, 2020 3:39 pm

Cheong Tsoi, 
I think you are correct about the degree that may fulfill the education requirements portion of the registration.
As we know registration as IEng or CEng is based on meeting the competencies requirements based on the UK SPEC. 
It is recommended to get with PRA to establish the plan and the correct path for registration.

https://www.engc.org.uk/standards-guidance/standards/uk-spec/

The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)

here are five generic areas of competence and commitment for all registrants, which broadly cover:

• A – Knowledge and understanding

• B – Design and development of processes, systems, services, and products

• C – Responsibility, management or leadership

• D – Communication and inter-personal skills

• E – Professional commitment

Posted by Leslie T on Jan 8, 2020 6:01 pm

Cheong Tsoi:
Leslie,

Have you checked the Washington Accord? Bachelor's degree in Canada may well serve the requirements for UK's CEng instead of IEng. A Master's degree is only required in the UK for CEng! Many countries around the world only requires a Bachelor's degree according to Washington Accord, to apply for CEng in the UK.

So I would not require a masters to apply for CEng status? I did not know that!

Posted by Leslie T on Jan 8, 2020 6:05 pm

MW _CEng:
Cheong Tsoi, 
I think you are correct about the degree that may fulfill the education requirements portion of the registration.
As we know registration as IEng or CEng is based on meeting the competencies requirements based on the UK SPEC. 
It is recommended to get with PRA to establish the plan and the correct path for registration.

https://www.engc.org.uk/standards-guidance/standards/uk-spec/

The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)

here are five generic areas of competence and commitment for all registrants, which broadly cover:

• A – Knowledge and understanding

• B – Design and development of processes, systems, services, and products

• C – Responsibility, management or leadership

• D – Communication and inter-personal skills

• E – Professional commitment

Good to know. If you don't mind me asking: what is PRA? Is it possible to start the application process for CEng before finishing my degree? When is the best time one should start their application?

Posted by MW _CEng on Jan 9, 2020 1:17 am

Leslie,

As Alasdair responded and suggested, you need to contact International - PRA Professional Registration Advisor.
Do you think you have the required experience and competencies?  

Posted by MW _CEng on Jan 9, 2020 1:49 am

BTW,

What level of membership you have with IET?  Are you Student Member, TMember TMIET, Member  MIET, etc?
Years of experience as an Engineer or similar?  You didn't provide any info about your experience etc.
CEng is for careered engineers with years of experience and competencies matching UK SPEC.

Posted by Leslie T on Jan 9, 2020 1:54 am

MW _CEng:
BTW,

What level of membership you have with IET?  Are you Student Member, TMember TMIET, Member  MIET, etc?
Years of experience as an Engineer or similar?  You didn't provide any info about your experience etc.
CEng is for careered engineers with years of experience and competencies matching UK SPEC.

I am just a student at the moment. I will be taking on an engineering internship in May. I'm just looking for what I need to know about this when the time comes for me to apply. I just thought they might have a similar system like Canada with the Engineering In Training that I would need to apply for before hand.

Posted by MW _CEng on Jan 9, 2020 3:21 am

Understood,

It's different from Canada.  I think once you graduate in Canada you need to get a year supervised experience by PEng and you have to take Ethics etc exam to get registered as a PEng.
It's been very long time since I checked.

In the UK its different you will need to get the competencies and experience as specified in the EC UK PSEC.  

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in