This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

C&G Professional Recognition Awards (post-2013)

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Morning all,

Regarding LCGI, AfCGI, GCGI and MCGI, has anyone gone through this process after 2013 when it was changed from Senior Awards to Professional Recognition Awards?

I've found centers that offer these qualifications, but they provide little or no infomation (even via e-mail) as to what exactly you have to do, and what infomation / evidence you need to provide is.

I believe in the past their was a direct route if you had either IEng or CEng (of which ive got IEng), but i believe they no longer offer this route. I doubt i can just send an updated version of my IEng PRA, so i'd like to know what exactly it is i'd need to provide for to get one of these.

Unfortunatly, C&G provide very little infomation on these. I can't even figure out if i should even be applying for AfCGI or GCGI!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Lee,

There is some information that can be downloaded from the City & Guilds website, including an FAQ:

https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/professional-recognition-awards/professional-recognition-awards/9200-professional-recognition-awards#tab=documents

Having had a brief look at the specification for each of the award levels, there seems to be some similarities to EngTech / IEng / CEng. What benefits do the City & Guilds awards have for someone who is already EngTech / IEng / CEng, other than they are mapped to the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) whilst EngTech / IEng / CEng are (to the best of my knowledge) not so mapped?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks Ross,

Its infomation ive ready read, amongst other infomation. Unfortunatly the internet doesnt provide a lot of details that states what exactly the process is and what you need to submit etc.

As for its use, its a case of having at least a little extra something on your CV which can be important when your pitted very close against another candidate who on paper is close to yourself. Having that little extra may help tip the scales in your favour. Its also good as i suppose "third party assurance" of your skills/experience that you state on your CV and interview. It can be easy to maybe over exaggerate your skills and experiences on your CV or in an interview, having an organisation like the Engineering Council and C&G confirm and validate your skills and experience can also be helpful. 

Besides that, im looking for someone personal experience going through this process, to better understand the process and requirements.

• Hi Lee

I did this (LCGI) 2008. That is historic obviously. I Eng maps as GCGI I believe. In 2014 a colleague (fellow engineer surveyor) did it just based on cv and evidence.

Colin
    Cheers for that Colin.

I suppose you don't recall what was required as "evidence" do you?
  • Lee

I think it was just confirmation (he was recently ex-Air Force) that the cv was not a work of fiction. A letter from his last CO/Manager would have been sufficient.

Colin
    Colin,

Sounds basically like the IEng/CEng process but without the interview.

Thanks very much for the infomation. Greatly appreciated.
  • No problem.
  • In 2016, I enquired with a local provider about these... MCGI carried an assessment fee of £845 (LCGI was £420)

Other than that, the assessment categories looked very similar to the UK-SPEC criteria