Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
CEng timeline
Question
Hi all,
For experienced MIET's, any rough estimate on the timeline of CEng application, submission to decision?

Thank you,
Hesham
5 Replies
David Parr
260 Posts
Will depend upon how straightforward the application is. Three to four months is probably a good working average.
At a presentation from the IET on Tuesday we were told that currently it is an average of 14 weeks from submission to decision.
I sat my interview this week after submitting my application on the 4th July, so that's 3 months, although I'm awaiting the decision. I can't fault the whole process, all completed online and quite straightforward. 
It depends on several things, but if the application is clear, hits a stage 2 panel promptly, an interview can be arranged promptly and stage 4 decision is clear then 3-4 months.

I tell candidates 6 months unless further information needs to be sought or they end up being very marginal (but if they ask for help, we can usually avoid that).

Better to beat the expectation that have the candidate fretting and calling

Graham Prebble:
Better to beat the expectation that have the candidate fretting and calling

I agree, though with a caveat....
If a candidate submits their application and thinks the interview is likely to be in, say, three months, but then suddenly gets the notification that it is next Tuesday, their presentation may end up being rushed (OK, I know they shouldn't be leaving it to the last minute but when people are busy....)
I think we need to have realistic pessimism (or is it pessimistic realism?) and suggest a timescale we recognise may well be beaten but not be too pessimistic.
Alasdair

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in