This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

My CPD Return has been Not Reviewed

I got a really strange email from the IET today, saying:

It is our pleasure to confirm that your CPD Return has been Not Reviewed - Completed for Year: 2018

If you have any comments please direct them to  using Career Manager

There is some really odd wording in there.  I guess having your CPD return "Not Reviewed" is like the tax man not reviewing your tax return for the year - it's considered a good thing.  Something seems to have gone wrong with the next line, too.  It looks like there is supposed to be some contact information there, that somebody forgot to fill in.

I have seen phishing emails with better grammar than that.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Maybe they're trying out an experimental AI software; or out-sourced it to an overseas non-english speaking 'CPD review' centre.
    Hi

This e-mail appears to have been automatically and erroneously sent while work was being carried out by the suppliers of Career Manager.  The poorly-drafted text was in as a "placeholder" and not intended for use.  We are sorry for any confusion caused by this e-mail and are working to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen in the future.
    I received the same message.

Ron McMurtrie
  • #me2!

Fair enough, murphy is always prowling and looking for any opportunity to vomit into the porridge bowl of the unwary. It could have been a lot worse - google "dear rich ***" for instance [from the Snopes site]:

The National Westminster Bank in England admitted last month that it keeps personal information about its customers — such as their political affiliation — on computer. But now Computer Weekly reveals that a financial institution, sadly unnamed, has gone one better and moved into the realm of personal abuse.

The institution decided to mass-mail 2000 of its richest customers, inviting them to buy extra services. One of its computer programmers wrote a program to search through the databases and select its customers automatically. He tested the program with an imaginary customer called Rich ***.

Unfortunately, an error resulted in all 2000 letters being addressed “Dear Rich ***”. The luckless programmer was subsequently fired.

?

PDR

If The IET is asking for a CPD return, is it a must to return by Career Manager? or just simply send a word file to their email?
  • The method you use to record your CPD is up to you. If you do not use CM then an alternative, such as a Word Document, is perfectly legitimate. However if you use CM then the IET can access the returns without needing any work from you. It is up to the individual which way to play it.

Alasdair

• Alasdair Anderson:

The method you use to record your CPD is up to you. If you do not use CM then an alternative, such as a Word Document, is perfectly legitimate. However if you use CM then the IET can access the returns without needing any work from you. It is up to the individual which way to play it.

Alasdair

Exactly ... I have a spreadsheet and if ever asked can just pdf it up and email ... I have no interest in pfaffing about with CM
  • I have abandoned my employer's "learning log" system and switched to Career Manager instead.  It's a pretty horrid system, but you can ignore most of it if you are just recording CPD.

It would be better if the IET's new Single Sign On system actually worked reliably, though.  I'm getting a bit fed up being redirected to a page telling me that I'm not authorised to access CM because I'm not logged in.  I can have two tabs open in the same browser.  One says it's logged in, the other says it's not.
  • Has anybody here actually had their CPD reviewed? I'd be interested to know what the process was like - I'm regularly asked by members (from new to very, very experienced) what it is actually considered acceptable.

Thanks,

Andy

• Hi Andy, I have.

I opted into the scheme when it was still voluntary. I then became a CPD Advisor/Assessor, and all the opted in members at that time were reviewed so we could try out and improve the system.

My job as a reviewer is made so much easier if people use Career Manager. It gives me the tools to review things more efficiently. Having said this, any form of return is acceptable. If you think TWAVES, I believe it's impossible to not achieve the minimum CPD target of 30 hours for any engineer in employment who has breath in his body, and this is bourne out in practice.

We try to give feedback that helps the reviewee to improve their CPD where necessary, and whatever is sent in is looked upon in a positive light.