This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Appeals Process

I have been asked to support an IEng candidate who has been unsuccessful for the second occasion at his PRI. I was his PRA for the second attempt at IEng and was surprised at the outcome. The decision reached by the interviewers did appear to be contentious and was questioned by at least one of the reviewers on the panel post-PRI.

He is thinking of appealing against the recent decision on the basis that he was led to believe that he could only present evidence of competencies in the time since his first PRI. The wording in the letter he received post his first PRI would appear to confirm this. My understanding is that a candidate can present evidence at the interview from his/her entire career history. Can anyone offer clarification on the above or provide general advice on the guidance I should provide to the candidate.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
  • Andrew,

I can't provide definitive clarification but my understanding is that at the second the expectation is that the candidate will show that he/she has filled the gaps that were found at the first Application/PRI. This is expected to be through further experience/examples that were not available for the first PRI, but (and it is a major BUT) if there are examples that for one reason or another were not previously presented which do show the competences are achieved (or were presented but incompletely and were thought by the interviewers not to show them) then these are perfectly legitimate.

For old evidence the question in the back of the assessors'/interviewers' minds is always going to be "why was this not presented at the previous PRI" so there should be a legitimate reason.

Alasdair
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    It worths to appeal as it is no harm. With a PRA for the first and second PRIs, it should be passed. It is better for The IET to review for the second time as it better to save time for the third attempt.
  • Got some Appeals refresher training this week so can see, but the only time at PRI we review 'evidence since a date' is when a candidate is an IEng and applying for CEng as we are really only interested in the difference to CEng.

If unsuccesful at the first PRI, why logically would anyone think that a full review would not be done again ?

Appears can be made on two counts: Undue process or personal mitigation. From what you describe, neither would apply (unless perhaps there is some verifiable evidence of being 'misled'. In the end, the candidate owns their application and advise is just that. We expect professional engineers to take charge of their own destiny
  • There is nothing in the Appeals refresher yesterday that would alter my earlier post.

So without prejudice... just observation ONLY on the inital post...

Unless the candidate has some evidence they were told 'only since the last PRI' (which seems improbable), then it is unlikely due process was not followed. From your first post Mitigating circumstance seems unlikely.

Cheong says 'worth an appeal as its no harm'. I understand the cost of the appeal is 140. It used to be refundable if successful, but the update now is that if the appeal is accepted (ie the initial review feels there is a case for review), then it is refunded at that point.... but from the indication made , as I said, unless there was likely to be some believable corroboration of being misled (inadvertently I would guess), then you gamble 140 quid.

It is worth noting that PRI's do carry a stress (as all personal reviews do), and whiles a PRA has spent time and feels the candidate is 'fine', the candidate does have to demonstrate this at interview. Being well prepared, knowing your application, having a solid presentation all make such a big difference.